CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Lisa Walker

Profile:
Making a Slam Ball - What is the Correct Diameter for the Basketball?

Hi!

We are making slam balls out of basketballs this weekend, filling them with sand.

I went to pick up the basketballs today and see they run in different sizes. Should I go with 27.5" or larger (I think they ran up to 29.5").

Thanks!

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa Walker : 08-06-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Expanding the title for clarity
Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Lisa Walker

Profile:
Re: Making a Slam Ball - What is the Correct Size for the Basketball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Walker View Post
Hi!

We are making slam balls out of basketballs this weekend, filling them with sand.

I went to pick up the basketballs today and see they run in different sizes. Should I go with 27.5" or larger (I think they ran up to 29.5").

Thanks!

Lisa
Gang, I'm thinking that the of 27.5" (and up) is actually the circumference, not the diameter.....sorry for the confusion. A.D.D. and very math-challenged here!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:
Re: Making a Slam Ball - Diameter for Basketball?

I am not sure what size mine are. I picked up two normal size basket balls. One of the two balls was filled about 80% full which has made it a good slam ball with good bounce. The other ball was packed full, is heavier and is used for wall ball shots and has almost zero bounce. Decide on how heavy you want the balls to be and exactly what they will be used for. This should dictate what size to buy. I also have used large amounts of duct tape on these. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Peck Fletcher View Post
I am not sure what size mine are. I picked up two normal size basket balls. One of the two balls was filled about 80% full which has made it a good slam ball with good bounce. The other ball was packed full, is heavier and is used for wall ball shots and has almost zero bounce. Decide on how heavy you want the balls to be and exactly what they will be used for. This should dictate what size to buy. I also have used large amounts of duct tape on these. Good luck with the project.
Thanks, Robert! You bring up a good point. I guess I should get a 27.5" and maybe the 29.5" for filling to different weights.

I'm wondering if the actual circumference difference (2 inches) makes any difference in how you grip the ball for slam ball or wall ball.

Thanks, again for your help!

Lisa
Old 08-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Brian De Mio

Profile:

Robert
Just curious but why duct tape?

I put on a fair piece of shoe glue and that seems to be working pretty good.

Mine isn't getting used a lot so I'm not sure how well the glue will hold up but it has been through some torture and done well.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

Brian, the basketballs balls I have came from Goodwill for $2.00. It seems that they may be made from vinyl. I was unable to get a good enough seal with the plugs so I just started putting on the tape. Bottom line they are cheap. Lisa, as far as grip is concerned, yes there is a difference. The lighter ball with less sand is much easier to do slam ball with. The ball that I have packed full is harder to do the wall ball shots. It is very hard, has zero give so it is more difficult to catch. These are the first two attempts at homemade slam/wall balls. I use these at the fire hall for work outs with my crew. We are working extremely hard to destroy these balls so that I can refine the construction process!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Brian, the basketballs balls I have came from Goodwill for $2.00. It seems that they may be made from vinyl. I was unable to get a good enough seal with the plugs so I just started putting on the tape. Bottom line they are cheap. Lisa, as far as grip is concerned, yes there is a difference. The lighter ball with less sand is much easier to do slam ball with. The ball that I have packed full is harder to do the wall ball shots. It is very hard, has zero give so it is more difficult to catch. These are the first two attempts at homemade slam/wall balls. I use these at the fire hall for work outs with my crew. We are working extremely hard to destroy these balls so that I can refine the construction process!

Hey, Robert,

Thanks for the added info. One question......does the actual circumference matter other than for volume/weight? In other words does the 27.5" circumference vs. the 29.5" circumference effect how you grip the ball? I guess it doesn't much matter, because if I want a heavier ball, I'll have to do the 27.5"(Junior ball, I think) for the lower weight and the 29.5" for higher weight capacity. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks, again.

Lisa
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

On the ball that was not full, it is easier to grip only because I am able to squeeze it when I catch it on the wall ball or the slam ball. I would think the larger the ball, the harder to grip which also depends on hand size. I have duct tape on both of mine and we train at the fire hall in the engine bay. At workout time the last 4 shifts the temperature has been around 90-94 degrees. This leads to more sweat and less grip on the duct tape covered balls. The next time I make another slam/wall ball, I will use a smaller ball such as a youth soccer ball or what ever I can get on sale. Good luck on the ball making!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Lisa Walker

Profile:

Quote:
On the ball that was not full, it is easier to grip only because I am able to squeeze it when I catch it on the wall ball or the slam ball. I would think the larger the ball, the harder to grip which also depends on hand size. I have duct tape on both of mine and we train at the fire hall in the engine bay. At workout time the last 4 shifts the temperature has been around 90-94 degrees. This leads to more sweat and less grip on the duct tape covered balls. The next time I make another slam/wall ball, I will use a smaller ball such as a youth soccer ball or what ever I can get on sale. Good luck on the ball making!
Thanks, Robert. I think I'll go with your thought of the smaller ball (27.5" I think is the Junior size). We'll start with that size and go from there.

And I'm with you on the heat! Our garage gym here in Fresno has been well over 100 for awhile now. But it's a DRY heat.

Lisa
Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Jon Schmalensee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Walker View Post
Thanks, Robert. I think I'll go with your thought of the smaller ball (27.5" I think is the Junior size). We'll start with that size and go from there.

And I'm with you on the heat! Our garage gym here in Fresno has been well over 100 for awhile now. But it's a DRY heat.

Lisa
I am making a few slam balls right now, and came across a nice trick. If you make the two holes (like pierre's instructions state), hold a vaccuum hose almost touching, but not quit flush to, the second hole. It sucks the sand from the funnel into the ball probably 5x faster than just sitting there or shaking it!

Last edited by Jon Schmalensee : 10-29-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: sp