CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Marlon Thompson

Profile:
Wrist Inflexibility RX

I have seriously inflexible wrists which makes it very difficult for me to properly rack the bar. Has anyone experienced the same situation? Does anyone have a program or methodology for increasing wrist flexibility?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Wrist Inflexibility RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Thompson View Post
I have seriously inflexible wrists which makes it very difficult for me to properly rack the bar. Has anyone experienced the same situation? Does anyone have a program or methodology for increasing wrist flexibility?
Loosen your shoulders - if you can't point your elbows straight forward its a shoulder issue, not a wrist issue (the fingers are only a guide, no reason to death grip the bar). Practice the rack position with the bar in a squat rack one arm at a time. My guess is you can do it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Ben Ericson

Profile:

Well I hear your cries, my wrists had the same issue and the only way you can work on it is to use light loads and practice racking the bar using the weight to stretch out your wrists giving you better flexability. Practice makes perfect!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Marlon Thompson

Profile:

George and Ben,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a have tighter shoulders than my wrists. Born with proportionally large shoulders (5'10" tall, 195 lbs.,and wear a size 51 suit). Great for sports, and strength, but need to focus on the flexibility.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Ya flexibility in wrists is tough. i have problems with it to especially when im doing handstands and stuff. There are some exercises you can do on the floor with stretching and warming up your wrists. I learned them from some gymnastics guys hard to explain but ill give it a shot.

first start both hands palms down facing forward on the ground and lean forward over them. hold for 5 seconds, then turn them around fingers facing you. then both hands to the right left hand palm up right hand palm down then switch. then right hand palm down fingers facing away and left hand palm up fingers facing body. when they start to feel like your warming up a little start rotating between the positions quicker getting a quick stretch and then changing positions.

I hope that all makes sense, and good luck with everything;-)