CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I was reading the post regarding power output etc. and was impressed with the arguements made regarding swimming. I can't remember the last time I actually swam. I am curious if anyone could provide some good information, link, or book on the subject. I started rowing in the past 6 months and am really enjoying the challenge it provides. Also I imagine swimming would help with shoulder flexibility and strength.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Nick,

Order the CF Journal from August of '05 (some good workouts), look for the Total Immersion book by Terry Laughlin at your local bookstore and consider buying a couple of stroke technique/coaching hours from a swim coach in your area. Swimming well is a very technique-driven thing.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on March 02, 2006)
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Nick & Matt, I just started adding swimming in to my training.
There are several Tri-Athletes and a swimming coach at our gym, and their enthusiasm rubbed off on me.
Years ago, I used swim competitively in local events. I almost forgot how great swimming was.
I am sure this will be a regular part of my training now.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
There's a guy over on Specialtactics.com putting some swim WOD's together, that I think look pretty cool. It's under, I think SOPWOD.

I haven't swam in years, but I'm giving some serious thought to finding one.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
I have been an endurance athelete all my life: running/swimming/biking. However, I have been following the Crossfit philosophy, (WOD's and Diet) and have been energized by the stress and the challange. However, when a workout lasts for 20 minutes it's only likely to burn about 400Kcals (assuming 16 mets effort). I'm use to working out for an hour at 13 to 16 Mets and burning alot of Kcals. I need to be educated: how does a workout as short as 20 minutes enhance endurance. Any help out there?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Motion Macivor

Profile:
maybe you should start a new thread with this question
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Kenneth,

The goal is to raise your resting metabolism for a very long period of time. Some of these workouts seem to have lingering effects lasting 24 hours or more. We call this a neuro-endocrine response, meaning essentially that is tweaks your nervous system, and it tweaks your hormonal system.

When you do just endurance work, you burn calories, but often those calories come from the destruction of muscle. Our goal is to keep the muscle, and hopefully burn predominantly fat. That's why some form of insulin control diet is so important, with the Zone being the most common here.

If you haven't downloaded the Free CrossFit Journal entitled, I think, "What is Fitness", that would be a good resource.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
Burning calories and enhancing endurance are two different things, that don't always coincide perfectly.

Hard anaerobic efforts have been shown to build muscle and enhance aerobic capacity. You can google Dr. Tabata for more info than I can provide you.

Longer slower efforts burn tons of calories, but leave us slower and weaker, with no anaerobic benefit.

Caloric balance is the focus of your dietary discipline.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Jason Billows

Profile:
Try a search for other swimming threads.

Months ago someone started a thread on swim workouts (I think under the WOD section)and there were a number of great posts, some of which provided alternate workout options.

If your pool will allow it, try mixing things up with weights or weighted bricks. I have some a killer workout that entailed swimming to the bottom of the deep end, picking up a weight and carring it along the bottom as far as you can. When you surface, sprint to the other end of the pool and back and repeat until you have carried the weight a full length of the pool. Repeat for as many times as you'd like and score by time. Killer!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I've recently started going to the pool once a week during a rest day. I got the Total Immersion book first and follow the lesson plan, doing drills and normal swimming. Nothing special at this stage. Before I started again, it had been 2 years since I last swam. My main focus is the WOD's, but I see my lack of aqua-experience as a gap in my fitness.