CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Massages

From the past threads I've noticed that massages are beneficial with little or no cons (toxins which can be avoided by plenty of water). I'm only 19 but looking into getting a massage soon. There is no specific reason for the massage, only that it will help me. Should I be looking into a spa for a massage or go for a more professional therapist. Any input would be great. I am not sure on how to go about this.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Re: Massages

I usually go with a specific reason, so it is easy for me to request attention on specific areas.

My only recommendation is to make sure it is hard (whether you call it deep tissue or something else). Perhaps have them look for trigger points.

I guess I sort of think a therapeutic massage should be painful.

I have no scientific backing for this however.

howard
Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Corrinne Haskins

Profile:

It can be difficult to find a really good therapist. Spa's are easy because you know where to find them. They also charge quite a lot and only give about 50% to the therapist.

Sometimes massage schools can be a great place to get message because the students need to put in hours and you can receive it at cost.

A booming field that doesn't get a lot of press is Asian Body Therapy. If there is an Acupuncture School in your area often they have an OBT program. They apply other techniques such as Tui Na which can have really beneficial results.

At my most fit and functional I found this round to be most helpful.
In addition to crossfit style training which truly pushes strength and intensity (cardio conditioning) I think that doing some form of flexibility work almost daily, 1 - 3 dry sauna sessions a month, and receiving some type of massage 2x a month is really ideal. massage is awesome but it can become prohibitive financially. I solved that issue by dating massage therapists. My last 3 girlfriends have been massage therapists. (actually that wasn't intentional but I'm not complaining)
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I'm in Australia so can't be specific for your case but here we have an official body - the Aust Assn of Remedial Masseurs. I make sure I go to one of them and then its refundable from my private health fund. I also look for a sports masseur. I have found that for particular problems, deep tissue massage and dry needling is especially effective.

There is also a book that has been recommended here before - a Trigger Point Therapy workbook or something like that. I believe that is worth having.