CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
I'm on 19 blocks and getting skinny wtf

I was at 160 before I started a week ago on the zone diet. Now I'm 155 and have been called skinny by a coworker and my mom said she felt my ribs when she gave me a hug(she's short, I'm 6'1). I don't know I'm really suppose to just have 16-17 blocks after I calculated my lean body mass and multiplied it by an activity level of .7-.8. But I knew I like to eat and couldn't be satisfied with that so I'm on a 5-5-2-5-2 blockDamn Dr. Sears is right this does shred the fat but I wish I had more muscle to improve my look. What should I do? I obviously am beyond any 'bulking cycle' or 'eat everything you can plan'. Maybe I just go a little heavier on the crossfit WOD's that build mass?(squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses?).
Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Re: I'm on 19 blocks and getting skinny wtf

1 more thing. I usually workout after my lunch and use my 2 block snack as my postwork out fuel. Can that be a reason why I'm losing so much? Can you build muscle without having a whey protein shake right after? Dr. Sears doesn't cover exactly how to eat before and after you train. Maybe have a protein shake/mass gainer after the workout and not count it in the blocks?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Eric Lester

Profile:

I would think 19 blocks would be about right for you. It sounds like you may be ready to up your fat blocks.

How is your WOD performance? Getting better, worse? How do you feel?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Search for posts from David Gessen;

You guys have a lot in common.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Rajib,
If I were losing more weight than I wanted to on the zone I would start by at least doubling and more likely tripling the fat!

So immediately start using an extra 57 (19x3) or 114 grams of fat a day in the form of nuts, olive oil, avocado or coconut oil.

Technically the advice is to stay on the block plan until performance goes down then up the fat blocks but if your weight is going down and you don't want it to that would be another reason.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

Ok my performance has never seemed even close to comparable to what I see up on the crossfit bulletin so I log it in a book. I always thought I was more fit/athletic than the next guy but not with these times. examples:
The last :"Diane" scaled down to 205 lb deadlifts time: 25:40
overhead squat: 105-115-115-115-115-115-115
"Fran"-14 mins
shoulder press mostly at 135
50 burpees for time: 7 minutes
There it is..sigh

Craig I dont understand the large gap of upping my fats to either 57g or 114g. Why is there an either or with the gap so large? and can someone give me a quick lesson on how many g of fat=1 block of fat? 9? so with the 57 g that would be about6-7 blocks?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Lori Schwartzberg

Profile:

Don't forget that most people just starting the zone drop a lot of water weight quickly. Something about body retaining less water with lower refined carbs. So you may not have lost anything but water and your blocks could be fine. If you're feeling fine, may want to give it longer to see if the weight loss stops.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post

Craig I dont understand the large gap of upping my fats to either 57g or 114g. Why is there an either or with the gap so large? and can someone give me a quick lesson on how many g of fat=1 block of fat? 9? so with the 57 g that would be about6-7 blocks?
1 block of fat is 1.5 grams.

So 1.5 x 19 = 28.5... which is the amount you should be consuming each day.

Doubling it increases it 57 grams, triple it to 85.5, or quadruple it to 114.

Start with 2x and work up from there.

PS: from your times, it looks like strength is an issue - especially considering you are 6'1" and only 155#. No big deal, but you will not get a fast Fran unless you put a little more meat on your bones, given your height. The 155# guys that post sub 3:00 Frans are all about 5'3" to 5'8"

Consider a cycle of starting strength - if that is a goal of yours. Otherwise, just keep on doing what you're doing.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

thanks for the help and clarification everyone
Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Actually one block of fat is 3 grams! At the base level of zone you only count 1.5 blocks of fat because your lean protein has about 1.5 grams of fat per block.

So double fat equals another 57 grams (19 blocks x 3 grams of fat per block) this is in addition to the base level of fat which is 57 grams only half is counted as extra fat the other half hidden in the lean protein.

Not that it really matter whether you call it double triple or quadruple fat you increase it until you get the desired effect.

It is not really an either or as far as moving up so fast you could go and gradually add a little fat at a time but "doubling" the fat lets you make the switch and still count complete blocks

Last edited by Craig Van De Walker : 05-12-2008 at 01:16 PM.