CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
Just wondering what you all do when sick? Do you train through it or take time off until you feel well? What types of illness is okay to train through?
Also, where do you pick up with the WOD when returning?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
I'm not going to suggest what you should do but if I'm not running a fever then I'll go ahead and workout. If you have alot of chest congestion you might want to consider that.

If you do take some time off then just pick it back up with whatever that days WOD happens to be.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
David Ledbetter

Profile:  
I never really have an illness beyond a cold. But when I do, I still drop down and do maybe 50% of a typical workout, maybe more, maybe less. Or maybe brief 3-4 minute exercise sessions spread throughout the day. If I'm just to wore or fatiguing quickly, I quit and go to bed. Above all, I'm a firm believer in learning to listen to your body.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:
I will share with you what I've learned from 3 Okinawan Karate Masters during the 60's and 70's. I have continued to practice what they taught me. To the karate Masters, sickness was weakness. You can never display weakness. Therefor, when a Master 'feels' an illness coming on, Master would work harder that day, beginning upon wakening and feeling the symptoms of a cold or any ailment. They would train harder and sweat and eliminate the sickness from the body and mind.During 31/2 years on Okinawa, I never witnessed Sensei being ill. Upon return to the US, I trained under another Master. In 12 years I never witnessed him being ill.
In this society, when we feel a cold or sickness coming on, we normally 'show weakness' right away by declaring it to everyone."I feel like crap". We declare it to everyone as the day progresses and we feel worse and worse. It is referred to as psycho-soma. It was impossible for the Asian Masters to display such weakness. It was an open display of vulnerability. When I feel a cold or virus, I will immediately practice Kata and train on a heavy bag and increase my training for the day. I am unable to remember my last cold or virus. I train when I feel the symptoms of the commom cold or virus.If I were to feel a more severe symptom, I would seek medical aid, but I would always 'keep it to myself'. (can't display weakness) That is what I learned and what I practice.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Ben,

If what you have might be contagious and you workout at a facility with others I would take that into consideration also. I know I have been to the gym many times when people have colds and they are trying to work through it, not thinking about spreading their illness to other people at the gym.

As for Skip's suggestion that is very interesting kind of a "if you feel like you might be sick, tell yourself you aren't and you won't be" thing.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I agree that it is courteous not to infect the people around you when you are sick, but I think there is more to it than that. One should not quarantine oneself for non-serious illnesses.

Colds and flus are around us at all times, we only catch them when WE become vulnerable. If you are at the gym with a cold, the only people who you could infect would be the ones who are vulnerable, and if they didn't catch it from you, they would have caught something from someone else.

In reponse to the original post, I play it by ear, basically listen to my body. Sometimes I perform the best when dealing with a light cold.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
Ted Williams

Profile:
My main indicator...if I miss work, I miss working out. Like the last two days. I have been sick as a dog, thanks to people at work who came in sick, even though they were sick as dogs...and now I have been home for two days...grrrr

Ted
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #8
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

The old adage is above the neck, fine to workout with, but anything below, or a fever, and you should probably skip it.

If you're truly ill and not just a cold, you're just going to wear youself down more and prolong your recovery.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've been fighting some kind of flu/virus from hell thing for a little over 3 weeks now. It started as mild laryngitis, then I lost my voice completely, then the rest of the flu symptoms came, but I continued to train straight through it all.

Now, weeks later, it's still there and my asthma's flared up after my keeping it at bay for at least 6 months, medication free (I'd been on daily preventers for 15 years).

So now... I'm having a week off and doing very close to nothing.