CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Christian Mason

Profile:
Asthma inhalers and very intense workouts

Ok, a little background. I was diagnosed with asthma as a child. I haven't had any problems with it in years. If I do very hard anaerobic work (think Helen) outside when its cold, I'll wheeze a little bit, but nothing that presents any kind of real problems for me.

I've also tested as above average of most measures of lung function.

The other day, as an experiment I used a friend's inhaler before doing a hard metcond. I didn't expect it to make much of a difference.

I was wrong -
The feeling of tightness I associate with hard workouts was nearly gone. I could "run at redline" significantly longer without feeling like there wasn't enough air. The workout was both more intense, and more pleasant.

I'm tempted to get a script, and start using an inhaler before intense efforts, but I'm not sure if there are any negative long term effects to this. It's clearly not a necessity, since I've done without it for most of my life. On the other hand, it it allows me to push harder I should make better gains.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Asthma inhalers and very intense workouts

Was it Albuterol?

I wonder if it counts as a performance-enhancing drug... it's basically a bronchodilator (opens up your lung... tubes). I can imagine two possibilities: either everyone would benefit from this, or you have a mild asthmatic undercurrent that you only really notice when you're taxing your respiratory system significantly.

If the former, it would be terribly tempting, but probably not the best of ideas, unless you're planning on making it a permanent part of your program. Maybe before a Painstorm...
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Christian Mason

Profile:

I believe it was albuterol

Given the childhood diagnosis (I did have asthma as a child - it has just improved so much that I almost never notice it) and the tremendous difference it made I'm pretty sure that I still have a mild asthmatic undercurrent.

I.e. its the latter. I'm not sure if there are negative long term effects to making this part of my routine before hard metcons though. That's what I'm concerned about.

I hadn't used any asthma drugs in about twenty years until a week or so ago. I'm very impressed at the difference it made, but I don't want to become dependent on it, since I'm not now.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Side-effects would probably be minimal (serious asthmatics obviously take this stuff regularly), though I don't know details. But either way it would probably come down to the old question of supplements: you can do it with, and you can do it without; one way you'll perform better for as long as you take it, but the benefit won't really be self-multiplying, so it's useful exactly as long as you keep puffing. What this means to you depends on your outlook. Some people say, "hey, free performance!" and some people say "I don't want any boosts that I'm not generating on my own."

It's almost irrelevant that you do have some asthma, except that it means you can get a prescription and there's a small moral edge to justify the usage.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Wade Smith

Profile:

Umm, I did "Linda" today with significant cold/congestion so I could hardly breathe. I guess that's the opposite of what you're talking about.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

I'm with ya, maybe I can help. Bear with the long response.

Last year, I had a bad run of colds/bronchitis. I'm 38 years old. It developed into reactive airway disease (RAD). I would wake up often at night and cough and wheeze for about an hour, several times. It sucked, bad. I wanted to die. I was run down and depressed. I wanted to stop working out. When I would workout, I would get the same asthma symptoms you describe. Doctor gave me advair (steroid, awesome stuff, slept better than I ever have) and an inhaler (albuterol). I never used the inhaler. Almost all the symptoms disappeared by the second day, except the post workout asthma.

It's called exercise-induced asthma. It's common in adults, especially if you have had childhood asthma. Mine was a leftover from the RAD, and is disappearing, but it can take over 2 years to go away. Sometimes it's for life. The prophylactic (pre-workout) use of the inhaler can help, and many olympic level athletes suffer from the affliction. Not sure if the inhaler is allowed in competition or not. Severity differs greatly. Search for "exercise induced asthma" and you will find out a lot. Cold air makes it worse. Dry air is worse. Hope you beat it, or it's not very severe. Mine was mild and temporary. I've read that sometimes it just goes away.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
Brian Keller

Profile:

I have this same problem. I had asthma as a child and didn't have any problems. All of the sudden cold weather running/CF would leave me in agony, short of breath and residual coughing for at least 24hours after. The albuterol changed everything. I don't have any symptoms if I take it before working out now. I wouldn't consider it a performance enhancer though. While it causes bronchodilation, people who don't suffer from constriction would receive little to no advantage taking it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
Will Parker

Profile:

I have asthma and I am supposed to take it twice everyday however I can live normally without it, exercise etc and perfrom at levels most other people do all without it.

However to perfrom in anything as intense as CF I have to take it before I workout as otherwise I would not be able to breath and push myself as hard as I could. I would not however consider a drug that enables me to breath as a performance enhancer though.

If you can push yourself as hard as you can without taking it then there is no need to take it.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Xavier Iturriagagoitia

Profile:

Hello,

I also have asthma since birth and have to take an inhaler every 12 hours.
I usually don't take it except when I know I will do a VERY intense workout (like a couple of tabata's).
However, always have 1 with you if you do intense stuff.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

I'm in the same boat as you guys, had pretty bad asthma as a kid, to the point that whenever the rest of the class ran a mile I brought a note from the doctor. I was hospitalized a few times and had to be hooked up to that breathing machine. Now that I'm older I only feel the asthma when I'm around animals (allergic), breathing cold air (a scarf helps), or sometimes during an intense workout. I have QVAR which I'm supposed to take twice a day (im bad about this), and albuterol to take as needed. I never thought of taking the albuterol before the workout though, if that cured the agony of running I'd be so stoked! I need to try this, another reason to go refill my rxs. If you have questions I'd suggest you ask a doctor, but if it is possible to abuse albuterol, I think you'd need to be taking it many many times a day. I doubt using it once a day before a WOD is going to cause any harm. Oh, I'm excited!