CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Will Parker

Profile:
Am I eating enough?

Ok so i'm following the SS program and I am drinking a gallon of full milk a day.

A typical day I will eat:

Breakfast
4-5 eggs, smoked salmon on toast

snack
3-4 crumpets with cheese

Lunch
sandwhich with 3-4 slices of ham lettuce tomatoe etc with a piece of fruit

Dinner
piece of fish with a bean salad.

I just ask because i've noticed alot of emphasis is placed on eating enough whilst on this routine-does this look like enough? I always feel full and im about 5'11. Also does this diet look bad to you
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Re: Am I eating enough?

The correct answer is: maybe. Apology in advance for the long essay that's going to follow.

A great way to start is with a good composition test and a nutrient tracker like www.fitday.com (wfs). Log your nutrients, see what you're actually eating and then examine your activity level.

If you're doing SS, you’re placing the physical demands on your body of an athlete. That means you need to eat like an athlete. If you want to gain mass, you need to eat more energy than you expend - first law of thermodynamics, no getting around it.

The type of mass, fat or lean, is dictated, then, by the type of energy consumed and your training and recovery. If you get more and more active in this forum you will find that the zone diet is the nutrition method of choice for athletes here. I personally thought that everyone was high when I started reading these forums because of how fanatical they were about it, but for an athlete it is an excellent nutrition method.

That said, big point #2, examine the types, timing, and combinations of food you eat. Restructuring the foods you already eat to zone proportions will boost your athletic ability and recovery. Switching those zoned foods to more favorable foods, or one better, paleo foods will further enhance athleticism and recovery. Then, eating more - be it fat to not gain mass or balance protein and carbs to gain lean body mass - will provide even more energy topping off the athleticism and recovery trio.

The general rule is first to eat right, then to eat more. Crossfit’s block guidelines for size and mass – there’s a link to them in these forums here somewhere – are a great guideline. First figure out your protein requirements (block numbers) then increase fat to support activity. Keep increasing until you start looking a little soft around the edges. Follow these steps and you can easily support the SS routine. 90% of your physical ability is diet. Get that down and everything else is easy.

Edit: Also search the crossfit journals on the main site for the free nutrition article. It's a great starting point for an athlete's diet.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I'm doing a SS routine now as well, along with 1 gallon of milk a day.

My original plan was to Get on a 17 block Zone diet during this period, along with my 1 gallon of milk. Since milk is by nature just about consistent with Zone in the first place, this isn't too difficult. The only thing that offset me was the spacing of the meals/snacks, which got screwed up when I was also drinking milk throughout the day.

e.g. Breakfast (milk) (milk) lunch (milk) (milk) snack (milk) dinner (milk) snack (milk)

Kind of defeated the purpose of spacing the meals/snacks out.

So instead I've made attempts to just make a switch to Paleo and an "eat when I'm hungry" mentality. I'm keeping about 80% paleo right now, along with the milk whenever I can throughout the day. Seems to be a lot easier to manage than counting blocks and timing my meals.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Based on a rough estimate I would say yes. I think you are eating enough calorie wise but I think your macro ratios are probably not optiminal. Like Darren said take a look a CF Journal 21 and try to track what your eating with fitday.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Will Parker

Profile:

Thanks for the advice-I was on the zone when I was crossfitting but always found myself hungry on that and I on about 20-22 blocks I think. I was never really fat or anything about 10% bodyfat and then when I went on to starting strength anjd became even hungrier so I just started to eat what I could get my hands on trying at the same time to keep it as healthy as possible.