CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Mike Downing

Profile:
Hello all!

I found myself in Las Vegas over the 4th of July week for vacation and it was incredibly hot. As such there were many people in the pools and shirtless and generally hanging out with less clothes than normal.
I found myself at 28 - 276lbs being very self conscious and wanting to get fit. So I set out to do just that. Since then I cut out my 14 cans of Pepsi, fast food, fried food, and sugar. Within 1 week of returning home. 1 week after that I got a gym membership and started with a personal trainer. I have been strength training M-W-F and cardio T-T-Sa. I am now sitting at 255 down from my 276 on July 6th. I currently drink nothing but water and protein shakes. I eat oatmeal, nuts, egg whites, meat, tons of fruit, and some veggies. I have totally cut out anything not natural or sugary.

My personal trainer was talking about the other trainers doing the 300 workout, so since I saw the movie I decided to do some research and that lead me to finding out that it was the final test and not an actual workout. Then reading more I found out that the man who trained them was interested in a bunch of weird tire rolling, jumping, and full body workouts. He mentioned in an article both Pavel’s Kettlebell training and Crossfit. So I dug further and landed at this website.

I am wondering if I should drop my 360.00 per 2 weeks training sessions and start in with Crossfit. I am in Iowa so there are no Crossfit centers near me nor is there a gym with even remotely the type of equipment that you have minus the weights. So I would be doing it all on my own. I do have an elementary school near me and they have pull up bars, metal picnic benches, waist high bars, and monkey bars.

I currently, can not even do 1 pull-up kipping or otherwise. I have a large martial art’s background from Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Wing Chun, to Wushu. And still retain that athleticism for movement and speed.

So my question is should I continue on my merry way or begin the Crossfit WOD’s as well as I can do them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Jerry Berg

Profile:

you should check out simplefit and the brandx website linked off crossfit.com for scaled and bodyweight WODs.

and if i were you, i'd dump the personal training classes and start to equip your own crossfit garage gym.

dig into the zone or paleo way of eating and follow the WODs as you can.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Definitely jump into CrossFit - it is not meant to be intimidating!

CF is scalable to any level, so all you need to do is scale down the workouts to your current ability. In a short time you will notice your abilities increasing.

Welcome, and feel free to ask any questions here.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
Your profile says Des Moines...

Crossfit Iowa

http://www.crossfit-iowa.com/

Link is a Crossfit affiliate. WFS
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Mike Downing

Profile:
Steven, you crazy crazy man. That is wicked. I had no idea. It is 10 minutes from my work and 15 from my house! Opened almost 2 months ago.

Sweet..

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
Michael Blazek

Profile:
I say Drop the trainer and start spending money on things you can call your own. I just started crossfit two weeks ago and like you I am overweight but have a strong atheletic background. I've been sore as can be but I still look forward to the WOD. Brandx is a great site for helping scale back the workouts and everyone on this message board will help you every step of the way.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Mike Downing

Profile:
I just called and spoke with Crossfit-Iowa. They have 3 classes a day. Not the greatest times of the day but workable. They also said that they have a lot of people in my situation and that they tailor the WOD for everyone as you go. Not too pricey. About $150 per month for unlimited workouts. Looks good. Just had my last personal training session an hour ago.

Question: Jerry mentioned the Paleo and Zone ways of eating. It looks like I am 40-70% eating that way now. But, no bread or grains at all. I have been told to have a bowl of plain oatmeal in the morning with my egg whites and rice at lunch but no carbs after 4pm. Are these "eating paths" for die hards or do they work for everyone?

Thanks for all the quick responses it definitely helped me figure out what I needed to do quickly so I could make my decision and put the gears in motion.

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Mike, the fact that you've cut out all those things from your diet and have implemented what you have already, I think you could easily have the mental fortitude to hold yourself to a program. And I have a feeling that within 6 months you'll be looking a ton better, and within a year you'll be another one of those guys whose picture on this webpage says "before/after" with two totally different "you's"

Crossfit Iowa sounds like a great place for you, and even then, if it doesn't fit, still save your money from the personal trainer ($360 every two weeks? I need to be a personal trainer...), and use it to start outfitting your garage gym.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I've never really restricted my carbs to a time of the day, I just try to eat "zone" like, and after following it strictly for two or three weeks, I'm pretty good at estimating any meal that comes my way so it's zone-ish.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

It was nice of your trainer to turn you on to our way of doing things. It sounds like you're well on your way to good fitness. With what you're spending now, you could have a badass garage gym in 6 weeks.