CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
James Besenyei

Profile:
Just wanted to say that, though I'm pretty new to the message boards, I'm gonna be out of commission for awhile...just had an apendectomy and now I have to have my knee scoped (torn meniscus again)...Crossfit is a wonderful site and exercise methodology, I just wish I had found it earlier so that I could have lost more weight and probably prevented this additional knee injury...I say this because Crossfit has helped me to drop 19 lbs in a little under 3 months (started at 330lbs, now weighing in at 309...yeah that's 21 lbs, but the last two pounds I've lost in the previous week 'cause I haven't been eating due to surgery & lack of appetite)...I plan on using Crossfit to recover from my knee surgery (WOD's not as RX'd of course, but a light version definitely)...talk to you all in awhile.

--Jim.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
David Bennett

Profile:
Good luck on you apendectomy James. You'll be back to the WOD in no time.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
James,

Here's to a quick and full recovery. You'll be all the way back before you know it. Use this relative down time to attack the nutrition harder than ever. Catch up on some study time with Rippetoe's books, Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training, and Protein Power Lifeplan for example.

Just a few ideas but I think keeping your head in the game will get the body back up to speed that much faster. Keep posting too and all the best...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
James Besenyei

Profile:
David & Rob...thanks. Rob- great idea with the reading, I've got Starting Strength, and will have to find a copy of Zatsiorsky's...and definitely will have to fine tune the nutrition, especially if I want to maintain the weight loss.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Doug Emerson

Profile:
James,

Good luck with your recovery. I feel you. I'm out for about a month due to a minor surgery. I had surgery to fix a varicocele. No fun. Should be able to get back in the groove in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile I'll work on Pullups and L-Sits.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
James--Ive been out a while too and now am just starting back in at 6 weeks post op! TIme of was good for resting, reading and nutrition but I did miss CFing and am only on partially.

Enjoy the rest and healing. You'll be back before you know. ANd the weight loss you acheived in such a short time is incredible. Kudos to you
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
James Besenyei

Profile:
Doug- Good luck on your recovery as well, and thanks for the encouragement, as soon as I can get back at it I'm going to start training anything I can.

Sarena- Not to be too repetitive, but good luck getting back into the swing of things, I hope you're grinding through WOD's ASAP...I too was surprised at how much weight I lost so quickly, some of it was diet, but most was the sheer amount and intensity of exercise associated with Crossfit...plus at almost seven foot tall and 330 lbs I had some easy weight to lose...the hard part will be keeping it off during my re-hab for the knee, and the next 3 weeks not lifting more than twenty pounds b/c of the apendectomy....anyway, thanks for the words, I cannot wait to get back at it.

-Jim.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Jag Mann

Profile:
Anyone aware of any CrossFit facilities, members or enthusiasts around the Yuba City or Marysville area of California?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Jim:

Double-whammy bummer! The bright spot here is that you will be back in the game just in time to get to Bill Russell's CF Cleveland which opens a "virtual affiliate" this month. Check out www.crossfitcleveland for the details. Think about getting into a pool and doing some stuff there to accelerate your rehab.

We all wish you the best. It will be neat to finally meet you, too. Good Luck.

P.S. Jag...start a new thread and ask about Yuba City, etc. You'll get a bunch of replies.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
James Besenyei

Profile:
Darrell:

Yeah, life sure comes at you fast & furious!! One week I'm happy about being accepted into law school, the next I'm in surgery and worrying about insurance deductibles, then I'm hobbled by a knee that doesn't want to move anymore. Anyway, according to my doc I should be able to recover pretty quickly from the scope, and I'm looking forward to a CF affiliate here in Cleveland. Speaking of the affiliate, Bill is a Hapkido instructor? Interesting art, I've always been intrigued by it. Will definitely hook up for one of those Saturday outdoor workouts when I'm back on two feet, looking forward to it.

--Jim.