CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hello Anthony. This is basically a follow up to your “Marathon with Minimal Training” post.
I figured that” Community” would be a good place for this posting.
In the March edition (and on the front cover) of the “Men’s Health” Magazine there is a featured article on Jason Statham. He is one of Hollywood’s latest action stars. He stared in "The Transporter" and "The Transporter 2". In his article (pg. 123) Jason talks about his type of training. I do not know if he has ever heard of Cross Fit but his training philosophy mirrors it very closely. He talks about how he uses his body as a weight, and how he applies Plyometrics. He also uses squat thrusts and burpees. I like how he talks about training for practical strength that will help him run, jump, twist and punch. He also feels that machine weights are pointless. Oh, and he is an avid participant in what he calls mixed martial arts which includes grappling and striking. Anyway, I also thought of you because he once ran a marathon. The thing is he ran it on dare with no extra training outside of his own regular training at all and he finished it in 3hrs and 51 minutes. Later he then challenged his friend to do his style of training. His friend in attempting to follow along, spewed. He met Pukie. Overall it is a very good article.

To sum this all up, I guess nothing is impossible. I am still an advocate of getting in some training for a marathon but as always there are exceptions to every rule.

Here’s the link to Men’s Health but unfortunately they do not have the latest March issue on line. You will have to buy it now if you want it or subscribe to it on line. They usually do not put issues on line until a month or so later. That way, they can force you to buy their current magazines the old fashion way.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=guy.wisdom&coni tem=3a7c2ee88bb29010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd____

Good luck with your CCS surgery Anthony.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to remember to stop by the bookstore this weekend and check it out. Sounds like a very interesting article that mirrors my curiousity!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Rory Gibson

Profile:
You can get the Statham article online.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&categor y=motivation&conitem=100983b43c369010VgnVCM100000c fe793cd____
Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks again Rory. Hey Anthony, I hope you see this. It'll save you a little trouble.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Peter, I received your PM and read the article! Thanks for the info! I'd be curious to see more detail about what he does, strength numbers, etc. But needless to say, the guy definitely has the right approach and attitude!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
Cool, Im glad you got my message. I knew you would be able to relate to him. As I read through the article I thought I was reading one of your posts. You two could be long lost brothers.:lol:
Old 02-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I always knew I liked that guy, ever since seeing him in Snatch.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"yalik digs?"