CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Greg Davis

Profile:
I'm looking for an alternative to an olympic bar (budget) mainly for practicing overhead squats and other oly lifts. I've seen the suggestion of just using PVC pipe but I was wondering if anyone knows a good way of adding a little weight to the pipe. Maybe stuff it with sand. Or is there other heavy but cheap pipe out there that I might be able to find at a hardware store?

Tried searching the archives but no mention of weighted piping as far as I can tell.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Sand works. You can get fancy and use the threaded endcaps, or just duct tape the heck out of it.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Karl Geissler

Profile:
We have made weighted PVC with combinations of lead and sand. I would recommend getting threaded caps, but then also glueing the ends with PVC adhesive.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I have heard of people using sand. Also a length of re-bar stuck inside. Save up for a 15lb training bar.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Danny Nowell

Profile:
Concrete inside a 7' piece of pvc would add a bit of weight. Use larger pvc and you can get a grip workout as well. You can tweak it and add an inner steel pipe and make your own bar, but I dunno how much weight I would trust on it (although I've made thick-handled DB's in this fashion with collars made from hose clamps/rubber, and they have carried up to 80-100 lbs for snatches/swings with no problems)
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Kevin Thomas Platt

Profile:  
This might be impractical but considering it is a pipe - and assuming that the pipe is enclosed - how about filling it with water? The size of the pipe would obviously impact the weight of the bar. I suppose if you don't fill it completely then you would even get a more interesting workout as your body tries to stabalise the water as it flows within the pipe.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
David Sailor

Profile:
I just went out and bought a 5 foot, 1 inch diameter black pipe which was threaded on both ends for $9. I also bought 2 end caps for $1 each. I used some plumber's tape to wrap the threads on one end and put the first cap on snugly.
I had some rebar out in the back yard which I cut to length to fit inside the pipe, added sand and tamped it down then closed the other end.
The rebar does not rattle or move, the pipe has a very solid feel to it and will be great to practice and warmup with. I will also have my daughter use it for OH squats.
All in all, I'm very happy with the end results and appreciate the input from the above posts.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
I've seen old, somewhat rusty O bars at Play it Again Sports for $40, so that may or may not fit the budget but would be a good choice for practice. Also, used 1" bars can be 15 or 20 lbs., depending on the length and we use them regularly for warm ups. These are usually the cheap chrome ones found at garage sales and the like.