CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I made some almond butter over the weekend and Im not sure it came out right. I used my food processor to severely pulverise 2 cups of raw almonds. The end result was something that resembles peanut butter but is much drier. When I put it into the jar it is very clumpy, almost like semi dried clay. If you have seen natural peanut butter WITHOUT the oil that is usually found on top, its like that. While mixing, I added a bit of olive oil to the recipe because it seemed very dry.

Anyways, is it supposed to be dry like this? Can I leave the food processor on or do I need to pulse to avoid the heat? Any other tips for the next time I make it?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Michael Tong

Profile:
I haven't made any in a while but I think I blended raw almonds and olive oil. Just add the oil slowly for the consistency you want. Perhaps add stevia or honey if you want a bit of sweetness.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
How long did you grind it? The first time I tried, I overpacked the processor, and it wouldn't grind up right, leaving me with almond powder. The next time I tried, I used about half as many nuts, and it came out very well, though I remember having to grind it for a long time... It took around 30 minutes, including stopping to add oil, scrape the sides of the container, etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I must not have added enough oil. I definitely got spreadable goodness out of it (though my one of my kids nearly ralphed it up) it was just too dry. I will play with the oil and probably add a skosh of honey to sweeten it up.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Alain Latour

Profile:
I tried making peanut butter at home once and had the same problem. Twice. I added extra oil but what's the point in doing that? Not to discourage you but I just went back to buying natural peanut butter.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Michael Tong

Profile:
Patrick,

I make small batches at a time, and I use a blender instead of a food processor - the narrow base would allow you to do less side-scraping. I think I ground up 1 cup of almonds at a time, added sufficient oil, emptied the blender, then rinse and repeat - just fold each batch into another once you are all done. As I recall, it was only a minute or two per batch.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Josh Reynolds

Profile:
If you're not set on making it with raw almonds, you can use roasted almonds and it works like a charm. You won't need to add any oil. I prefer roasted, unsalted almonds for my almond butter.