CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #1051
Matt Hitt

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Yeah, the blood thing in that article was WEIRD. I've never heard that anywhere before.

At least now when I say I eat paleo, there are a few people who say, oh yeah, I've heard of that.

BTW, pork shoulder was on sale this week. Slow cooked a 9 pounder overnight in the crock pot with a can of coconut milk. YUM. Life is good today
Old 01-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #1052
Luke Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hitt View Post
Yeah, the blood thing in that article was WEIRD. I've never heard that anywhere before.

At least now when I say I eat paleo, there are a few people who say, oh yeah, I've heard of that.

BTW, pork shoulder was on sale this week. Slow cooked a 9 pounder overnight in the crock pot with a can of coconut milk. YUM. Life is good today
Have you tried it with a tin of pineapple chunks (in juice) instead of coconut milk?

It's incredible!

Though I usually just do it in a half inch of water. Get a pork shoulder most weeks as it's always on sale here.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #1053
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Pineapple would rule. Haven't thought of that. Next one gets that treatment. Pork shoulder is perhaps nature's perfect meat, in that it's delicious, easy to cook, and cheap.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #1054
Marta Joy

Profile:

OMG!!!!! You guys i have theeeeehardest time trying to get back on Paleo after the Thanksgiving and Christmas brake...PLEASE any advice would help!!!!! I am feeling like crapp...but can't stop reaching for the easy foods...the food my kids sometimes eat...like chicken nuggets and burritos. And those amazingly awesome Almond Joy pieces i found at Wal-Mart the other day- I LOVE COCONUT more than anyone you have ever known!!!!!!!! Fresh coconut is great, but add chocolate and I'm in freakin' heaven! UGH! Having theeeee hardest time everyone i really need some motivation right now! Still going to the gym...but feeling tired and gross...i know! That should be enough to stop but It's not....

Thanx!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #1055
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta Joy View Post
OMG!!!!! You guys i have theeeeehardest time trying to get back on Paleo after the Thanksgiving and Christmas brake...
That's too bad.

Quote:
PLEASE any advice would help!!!!! I am feeling like crapp...but can't stop reaching for the easy foods...
Yes you can.

Quote:
the food my kids sometimes eat...like chicken nuggets and burritos. And those amazingly awesome Almond Joy pieces i found at Wal-Mart the other day- I LOVE COCONUT more than anyone you have ever known!!!!!!!! Fresh coconut is great, but add chocolate and I'm in freakin' heaven! UGH! Having theeeee hardest time everyone i really need some motivation right now! Still going to the gym...but feeling tired and gross...i know! That should be enough to stop but It's not....
If feeling like crap and being miserable is not motivating enough for you then nothing we can say will help. Sorry but that's the reality of it. Every time you put something in your mouth it's YOUR choice to put it there. Either you choose to eat crap or you choose to eat Paleo. Simple.

Last edited by Niall Somerville : 01-20-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #1056
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
OMG!!!!! You guys i have theeeeehardest time trying to get back on Paleo after the Thanksgiving and Christmas brake...PLEASE any advice would help!!!!! I am feeling like crapp...but can't stop reaching for the easy foods...the food my kids sometimes eat...like chicken nuggets and burritos. And those amazingly awesome Almond Joy pieces i found at Wal-Mart the other day- I LOVE COCONUT more than anyone you have ever known!!!!!!!! Fresh coconut is great, but add chocolate and I'm in freakin' heaven! UGH! Having theeeee hardest time everyone i really need some motivation right now! Still going to the gym...but feeling tired and gross...i know! That should be enough to stop but It's not....

Thanx!
Well the first step would be to sub-out unhealthy options for HEALTHIER options...if you like coconut and chocolate, instead of buying processed garbage like Almond Joy, buy real Dark Chocolate from a health food store and put shredded coconut on top.

Stuff like that helps to get into Paleo, even though dark chocolate is not Paleo, the idea that you first remove processed foods and excess sugar is the first "baby steps".
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #1057
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post

If feeling like crap and being miserable is not motivating enough for you then nothing we can say will help. Sorry but that's the reality of it. Every time you put something in your mouth it's YOUR choice to put it there. Either you choose to eat crap or you choose to eat Paleo. Simple.
This is not true and is an elitist statement.

Sugars and chemicals they release in the brain are in fact addictive.

So it's not as simple as "choising to eat crap" or not.

For most people it is in fact very addictive and out of their control.

This book will explain that to you:

wfs:

http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating...3996979&sr=8-1
Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #1058
Marta Joy

Profile:

That is all great advice! It's all about choices. I did great all day and then we went out to dinner! Guess going out to dinner will have to X'd out! thanx everyone!!! It's another day tomorrow!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #1059
Jason Broyer

Profile:

I am so in! Started eating semi paleo again the last week or two as i was trying to nail down where my program was going to take me. I settled on CFSB and total Paleo diet.

I have done paleo before for only a few months before a fell off so i know the diet pretty well I just need to stick with. Good news is the fam is going to try paleo as well so diner with mom shouldn't mess me up.

I started total 100% paleo on Monday so this is Day 3 for me!

I have been doing a lot of reading over at Melissa Byer's Blog; Urban gets Diesel the past couple days and then come to find out she lives the next town over, lol!

That blog from the challenge back in July has got me pumped for the 30 days. I really think the only think i will miss is beer, I love good solid local micro brews...mmmmmm.

I also started a log here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=54820

good luck to everyone else who is starting this challenge and hopefully will become a regular on this thread.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #1060
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post
This is not true and is an elitist statement.

Sugars and chemicals they release in the brain are in fact addictive.

So it's not as simple as "choising to eat crap" or not.

For most people it is in fact very addictive and out of their control.

This book will explain that to you:

wfs:

http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating...3996979&sr=8-1
Oh god. I suppose you think that alcoholics have a disease and are powerless to control it as well? Please! Cancer is a disease. Alcoholics just need to stop drinking. They make a choice to continue. People who accept they are powerless over something are basically just saying i'm a weak, useless human being who can't control myself and need to blame someone else for my actions.

I quit smoking after 5 years of 30 per day. I didn't use medication, patches or any other gimmick. I made a choice to stop and I did. I refuse to believe that food is more addictive than alcohol or tobacco and I refuse to believe food is more powerful than your own brain when it comes to giving up sugar.