CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Lee Austin

Profile:
Re: the rowing challenge.

So that puts you at a 2:23.9 average split and now you know both your baseline and have had a taste of the 2k. You score will ony get better.

I don't know what your goals are, but unless you're aiming to compete in an erg race, I don't see much point in training the erg a lot. It gets really dull very fast. You'd probably be better off just doing Crossfit, maybe adding in the occasional weekly or every couple of weeks erg piece and then testing your 2k again in 4 to 6 months.

But if you're bound and determined to train the 2k, you should head over to the Concept 2 website. Lots of good information and a forum that's erg specific.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #22
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Hey Lee - Thanks for helping me into the 2K world, I will head over to the C2 website for more good stuff. I CrossFit at an affiliate and rowing is mostly just for fun. I am hoping it gives me an advantage this summer on the Yellowstone River in my NRS raft. Better command/strength of the oars will hopefully keep my boat outta trouble. If you are ever out this way in the summer look me up I usually float the Yankee Jim stretch.

Here's me last saturday, yep it's snowing! I have yet to find out if I'm a "puker" but if I am I doubt I could hit the bucket, hence the outdoor row.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Row Snow.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	3493  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
John Biddle

Profile:

To work more C2 into your training you could try a not flat out 2000 or 3000 as an alternative warm-up for a WOD. Not every time, but say once or twice a week. You could try rowing that in a different way from how you would if you were trying for your fastest time over the distance - eg intervals of higher number of strokes or stronger strokes.

As someone has I think already suggested on here, look at the training guide on the C2 site for different workout ideas.

Can I just also say that increasing the power in your strokes (essentially from pushing harder with your legs) rather than just the number of your strokes is when your times improve.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #24
Lee Austin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
Hey Lee - Thanks for helping me into the 2K world, I will head over to the C2 website for more good stuff. I CrossFit at an affiliate and rowing is mostly just for fun. I am hoping it gives me an advantage this summer on the Yellowstone River in my NRS raft. Better command/strength of the oars will hopefully keep my boat outta trouble. If you are ever out this way in the summer look me up I usually float the Yankee Jim stretch.

Here's me last saturday, yep it's snowing! I have yet to find out if I'm a "puker" but if I am I doubt I could hit the bucket, hence the outdoor row.

Brrrrrr. Doesn't snow very often down here in Austin. (although I did have a rowing race in the snow once which was kinda fun)

Good luck with the erging!

And here's a parting form comment: in your pic, I can see that you have "broken" your arms (they're bent) before you've finished with the leg drive. This may be just a randomly bad shot (which always seems to happen to me, I'm rowing fine and then someone snaps a photo right as I take the crappiest stroke of the race) but think of "hanging" on the handle with straight arms as you would hang off a pull-up bar while doing leg raises. The only thing the arms do is transmit the force from the feet to the handle. You don't break the arms until the legs are completley down and the back is almost finished swinging; if you get in the habit of breaking the arms too early (which a lot of my current novices are doing and we're working on), you just tire out the arms and expend excess energy for no benefit.
You also want to relax the shoulders instead of pulling them up into your ears so you can engage the lats but I'd be rowing like that too if it was that cold.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Hello John - That's good advice and now that I have set aside my desire to row a quick 2K I look forward to improving my form and making sure I am getting back a good return on my drive. It's easy to just get busy rowing like crazy but then have nothing to show for it but fatigue. I downloaded a cool log from the C2 website that will help me track my progress.

Lee - I figured I would catch some heat on that ugliness and appreciate your feedback. In my (feeble) defense I had asked for my video to be taken during my last 500. By this summer I should have some respectable form and I hope to get out on the water in Portland Oregon. I will be driving through there on my way to visit family out on the coast. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #26
Lou Cabales

Profile:

i'm in on the challenge. what distance are we supposed to row and post.

also there is a 5k a day for 25 days in march prizes see the c2 web site

rowed my first 5 k avg split 2:22.4

my 500 yard PR is 1:37.5

haven't rowed 2 or 3 k for time yet

wendy you can log your rows direct to c 2 web site and share ranking # so we see each others log. and support each other.

Last edited by Lou Cabales : 03-01-2009 at 11:11 PM.