CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Carl Glenn

Profile:
Tabata squats, single round or multiple?

Im trying to do the super tight budget home version of CF. Im wondering if I should be doing multiple rounds of Tabata squats and deadlifts on day one? Five rounds of DL sounds way doable but 5 rounds of Tabata squats sounds crippling. Any advice or direction to an existing thread is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Tabata squats, single round or multiple?

It's not Tabata if you're able to hold anything for 40 rounds. That much volume on a single exercise isn't going to provide tremendous benefit, not to mention it'll cause some unnecessary DOMS.

Tabata deadlifts sounds dangerous.

Where did you hear of this idea?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Why not Tabata everything? Hit some push ups, sit ups, swings, squats, tuck-jumps, pull ups. There is plenty to do at home on a short budget. Do you have paralettes? Build a pull up bar. With a PU bar and a 'weight' (that could literally be anything heavy) you could be doing a sub'd version of the WOD most days. Body weight stuff abounds. There is that list posted around here.
Although the intervals with make you fit, eventually you will reach a point of dimished returns, however, if you're starting out, if you pay attention to form (not hurting yourself) and hit the intervals, you'll be rather fit in no time. Take your rest days...
Careful with tabata 'slow lifts' as you may be hurting yourself. Not certain you are, but take it easy. I think you'd see more benefit from a SS style for your DLs.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Carl Glenn

Profile:

Got the idea from CFJ 9-1-02, The Garage Gym article.

"If you only had a bar and a place to do pull-ups you could do an acceptable variant of the CrossFit Program. With this minimal
amount of equipment you could do deadlifts, squats, push-press, push-ups, cleans, and pull-ups. In fact the minimalist/low-budget
approach to our program is to do deadlifts and Tabata Squats on day one, push-press and push-ups day two, and cleans and pullups
day three and rest day four. Repeat. In minimalist/low-budget mode we derive our metabolic conditioning from running and
jumping rope. You could get amazing results on this regimen."

I have an Olympic weight set (albeit a cheap one), a doorway pullup bar (makes kipping very difficult) a jumprope, and a place to do proper dips. I dont have internet access at the house and my only window to work out is in the morning so doing the current WOD is another hurdle but Im hoping to get to a day behind after a little conditioning. Now Im just trying to arm myself with enough knowledge to get started without hurting myself or overexerting to an injurious extent.

So a single round of Tabata is adaquate seems to be the takeaway.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Glenn View Post
Got the idea from CFJ 9-1-02, The Garage Gym article.

"If you only had a bar and a place to do pull-ups you could do an acceptable variant of the CrossFit Program. With this minimal
amount of equipment you could do deadlifts, squats, push-press, push-ups, cleans, and pull-ups. In fact the minimalist/low-budget
approach to our program is to do deadlifts and Tabata Squats on day one, push-press and push-ups day two, and cleans and pullups
day three and rest day four. Repeat. In minimalist/low-budget mode we derive our metabolic conditioning from running and
jumping rope. You could get amazing results on this regimen."
I think what they meant was do a strength session like 5x5 deadlifts at max effort, then do 1 round of Tabata squats going for highest score. That will be enough for one day.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Carl Glenn

Profile:

Quote:
I think what they meant was do a strength session like 5x5 deadlifts at max effort, then do 1 round of Tabata squats going for highest score. That will be enough for one day.
Cool! Thats what I did this morning. Thanks for the feedback.