CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
Tyler Smith

Profile:
Re: Smith Machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Withington View Post
Bicep curls. Obviously.
well yeah... those and super heavy SHRUGS!!! AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!!... on and the behind the back ones too.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Barbell squats not allowed at a gym ?? sounds like a health club or spa
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Withington View Post
Bicep curls. Obviously.
that is what the squat rack at my globo is used for. its always nice when someone is supersetting curls with leg presses, calve raises, and hammer machine rows. its frustrating for me because the rack is the only reason i go to the globo.

i bet your boss read an article in a magazine like m&f about how bad squats are on the knees while on the next page is a big advertisement for a smith machine?

Last edited by Ted Apollo : 11-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Drew Armstrong

Profile:

We are open 24 hours and he doesnt want anyone anyone getting hurt while we are not there and sueing. So he put a sign up that says "squats are to be limited to the smith machine, this is a functional training cage only." I asked him if I could still do them and he said NO, live by your rules... I felt like telling him they are not MY rules. But he pays my bills.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Don Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Armstrong View Post
We are open 24 hours and he doesnt want anyone anyone getting hurt while we are not there and sueing. So he put a sign up that says "squats are to be limited to the smith machine, this is a functional training cage only." I asked him if I could still do them and he said NO, live by your rules... I felt like telling him they are not MY rules. But he pays my bills.
The fear is a legit concern, but seems faulty when only limiting it to a squat rack. Anyone can, and often do, get hurt on just about any piece of gym equipment out there. It's not like you'll have an employee watching each member to ensure they are doing it correctly even at the best of times; and that's assuming those employees know what good form is to begin with.

Isn't there some kind of waiver you could have people sign to avoid any reasonable lawsuits based on stupidity of members/
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
John C. Brown

Profile:

The Smith machine is dangerous for squatting...

The machine traps the hip in an unnatural position, heavily loads the quads (it forces the weight onto the toes). If you have ever seen someone doing overhead squats and they move their butt down first instead of back first? The Smith Machine forces this movement and keeps it there, which limits the depth of the squat as well.

Does your boss allow one rep max lateral raises? Or has he stated that they are not allowed to be attempted? Because those are infinitely more likely to cause injury then a full depth squat. Does he make you do air squats in the Smith? Because that would be priceless...
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Take the time to put together evidence that squatting in a smith machine is more dangerous and more likely to cause injury than squatting in a rack. Present this to him, and tell him that ethically, you cannot encourage people to squat with the smith machine. (get your resume ready)
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Use what you have available. Smith machines, pushmowers and handguns injure people when they are not used properly. Just do not be "that guy" who tries a Smith machine squat one rep max with 605lbs, cut a big toe off or has a video posted on the internet when he shoots himself in the foot as he is taliking to a group of school kids about gun safety. Good luck on the training!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #19
John Biddle

Profile:

I know this doesn't help you, but what do you think he means by saying "this is a functional training cage only"?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
William Stanton

Profile:

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear about this goofy development. If I were you, I would be careful about telling your boss that he's wrong. Remember, he's your boss, and he probably thinks that he knows a lot about strength training. So make sure, if you do anything at all, that you present the information in a very careful way. You can NOT say "you are wrong," thus implying that he's stupid. This will probably make him defensive. Maybe you could ask him to explain why Smith squats are safer, and you could say, "That's very interesting. Well I've heard somewhere that Smith squats can be pretty dangerous, too, for these reasons...I guess some people think that barbell squats can be fine for your knees. I know you know a lot about this stuff. What do YOU think?"

Then pursue it gently for a couple of days. Maybe send him an article about the dangers of Smith squatting and the benefits of barbell squatting, just to "ask him what he thinks." Remember, he's probably older than you, and he probably DOES know a lot about strength training. So NEVER let him think you're calling him stupid or ignorant. This would be rude, and it could be the end of your job there (and no one would ever squat in that gym again).