CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
John Biddle

Profile:
Re: Making a Slam Ball - Diameter for Basketball?

I had previously made wallballs that were full of sand, with little or no give in them. A bit hard on the hands when catching. Made another one mixing in foam pellets (like from a beanbag) with the sand (and also mixing in some small pieces of lead - the heads off old roofing nails. About the size of a small grape, and weigh about 1oz each - to bring the weight up. I happened to have this lead, but I've seen people suggesting using I think bird shot, which may be more readily available there), then sealing the hole with a tube of silicon and wrapping in tape. Worked pretty well - the ball is still packed, but is the right weight while still having some give. Subsequently saw on here someone saying they wrapped their ball in an old towel before putting on the tape, to further soften the feel. That (or using an old blanket or other cloth) sounds like it would be worth trying.