CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Tim Luby

Profile:
Damper setting: 2k vs 5k

Should the damper setting be different for either of these distances? I'm starting to think that I should set it at 10 for either distance. I definitely seem more effective using a longer, powerful stroke vs shorter, more frequent strokes.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Lee Austin

Profile:
Re: Damper setting: 2k vs 5k

Concept 2 recommends 3-5. I wouldn't do a 10; I've known waaaaay too many people who've blown out their backs at the higher settings.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

Thanks. Just found this to confirm what you're saying:
(Wfs)
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...amper+settings

Never hurt myself at 10 and I feel it's the most efficient setting, but I'll try it at 5-6 next time. Guess the stroke rate will have to come up a good bit.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

FWIW, in college we (the rowing team) always used a setting of 6 to best simulate the drag of the boat (heavyweights). OTOH, you're not training to row in a boat

I wouldn't change the damper setting for various distances, pick something you like and use it for all workouts. (also less confusing)

Rowing is about stroke rate vs power, smaller people have higher stroke rate and less power, larger people have lower stroke rate and higher power. A common beginner mistake is to row at too high of a stroke rate. e.g. if you're 200lbs, you shouldn't be trying to hold 40 strokes per min, but instead drop to ~30 and increase the power. Someone who's 140lbs will have a stroke rate in the high 30s/low 40s and less power per stroke.

How does this relate to the damper setting? The damper controls the amount of drag, which affects what stroke rate you can maintain easily for your power output (fitness).
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
John Biddle

Profile:

I'm just getting back into training on the C2 with some regularity, after several years away from it (enough years away that there weren't drag settings when I previously used one consistently). So far, although it needs a lot more time to be able to say this with certainty, it looks like I get better scores at 10 for 2000m than if I use 6 and at 6 for 5000m than if I use 10. I'm about 6', 200/210 lbs.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Here's what I'd recommend. Start your damper at 3 and row 100m hard. Note your interval time & 500m pace. Then go to 4 & do it again after 1-2 min rest. Then 5. Then 6. Once you've figured out at what damper setting you're pulling the best pace at go "other options" and then "drag coefficent." With your most efficient damper setting pull 10-20 more strokes and see what your DC is. Mine's 109. Different machines vary so you'll want to check the drag coefficient on a different machine before you row.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

A 4-5 setting on the erg is the most similar to rowing a single. But if I were rowing a C2 for competition, I'd experiment to see where I got the fastest times.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Nick Shimondle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
...smaller people have higher stroke rate and less power, larger people have lower stroke rate and higher power...
Somebody should tell the heavyweights on my team that, as we (the lightweights) have beaten them in every head race this season.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
Thomas R. Stegelmann

Profile:

If you compare light and heavy weights, use Concept2's weight adjustment calculator. However, damper setting is a personal preference. If you row 500m, a low setting requires more strokes but less force per minute while a high setting requires less strokes but more force per stroke.