CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
Lou Cabales

Profile:
Re: Body Fat % Testing

im surprised not more here use

Omron HBF-306C Fat Monitor

it uses electrical impedance (sp). supposed to be pretty accurate. id like to hear how it measures up against the dip and dunk.

the units are usually under $40

these have to be more accurate than tape measure and or caliper technique.

and i find much more consistent readings as opposed to tanita scale.

any one have comparisons of the omron monitor vs. dip and dunk??
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Anything using current to measure your bodyfat is a gross estimate. The product itself says that it is least acurate on physically fit people and that it is + or - 2%. Use a seven site caliper for the best blend of accuracy and ease of use.

The best method I have ever heard of is stand in front of a mirror naked, grab anything reproductive (ie breasts/genitals depending on your sex), and jump a few times. If something jiggles you are probably not at the XX% bodyfat your reader is telling you.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
I'm able to have my body fat % tested out at the university. They charge $30, and it's done in a water tank.

Anybody done this dunk method? Any thoughts on this?

i am going to be passing through santa barbara in a few weeks. do you have a contact number i could call for an appointment?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
John Biddle

Profile:

It's probably been said in a slightly different way, but it would probably be most useful for CF-ers to go for a method that you can repeat at intervals, the point being not to try to get an accurate score but to look at movements in the score over time. Therefore I'd be more interested in whether the readings from the various available gadgets are consistent over time, rather than whether they're accurate. If they were, you could argue that using one of those gadgets every 3 or 6 months and comparing the scores would give you more useful information than a one-off (albeit possibly more accurate) "dunk" test.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Prevost View Post
If they are using some type of gas dilution method to estimate lung residual volume (air), which would register as fat if not accounted for, you should get an accurate measure. The only way to actually measure a person's body fat for sure is to put them in a blender and do a fat extraction, but hardly anybody volunteers for that Mike
The woman I spoke to said that they do measure your lung capacity first, and they do caliper measurements as well.

I like the blender idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
A few years ago, I used one Tanita scale that said I as around 20% body fat. A few weeks ago I used another that said I was around 9%. I'm not noticeably 10% less fatty.
My Tanita scale has always said that I'm 34 % bf. Believe me...I'm not!! A few years ago I did the calipers, and I came out at 28%, and I'm in better shape now than then. And my Tanita still calls me 34%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
I've done it and it's not as easy as it's sounds, if you want an accurate reading. Was done at Youngstown State University by a professor and his students.

You wade out and sit in this chair/seat which is suspended from a top rig, when you sit on the chair, it sinks, once you get near bottom, but can't touch, you are told to exhale ALL your air in lungs, any air left in your lungs will cause your BF number to be off a tad, AND you're suppose to hold exhaled position for 30 seconds, which doesn't sound like a lot, until it's you sitting underwater, yada yada yada
Yea, someone else also told me it was a bit uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
i am going to be passing through santa barbara in a few weeks. do you have a contact number i could call for an appointment?
Hey Ted....the number is 805-893-4000. The hours are M-TH 1-3pm. They highly recommend making an appt. so you don't have to wait for the students to go ahead of you. Note that those are the only hours anyone's there to answer the phone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biddle View Post
It's probably been said in a slightly different way, but it would probably be most useful for CF-ers to go for a method that you can repeat at intervals, the point being not to try to get an accurate score but to look at movements in the score over time. Therefore I'd be more interested in whether the readings from the various available gadgets are consistent over time, rather than whether they're accurate. If they were, you could argue that using one of those gadgets every 3 or 6 months and comparing the scores would give you more useful information than a one-off (albeit possibly more accurate) "dunk" test.
John, you have a great point. And I don't really care what it is exactly, but my crappy Tanita scale is so far off it's laughable, and it never changes it's readout!

Besides calipers, anyone know of any good products that don't cost too much?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Ted Apollo

Profile:

thanks nancy!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Not sure if I'm posting this is in correct category....

I'm able to have my body fat % tested out at the university. They charge $30, and it's done in a water tank.

Anybody done this dunk method? Any thoughts on this?
Hey Nancy- I get dunked every 6 months by the mobile hydrostat that's here in Atlanta and other cities. Check out their calendar to see if they're near you. www.bodyfattest.com (wfs)
The first test is $50 and $30 thereafter. Hydrostat is the most accurate. The scales have me 7% higher and that's even using the athletic mode. Calipers usually measure lower than the hydrostat. I hope you aren't claustrophobic bc the tanks are typically fairly small. Do it! Then you can use your scales for a frame of reference.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
Lou Cabales

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biddle View Post
you could argue that using one of those gadgets every 3 or 6 months and comparing the scores would give you more useful information than a one-off (albeit possibly more accurate) "dunk" test.
yeah sure a $40 hand held device isn't going to be super accurate, but definitely more accurate than scale or caliper. and used mentioned above its a invaluable tool.

i use it weekly to or so to gauge trends and progress not so much empirical/scientific results.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
Hey Nancy- I get dunked every 6 months by the mobile hydrostat that's here in Atlanta and other cities. Check out their calendar to see if they're near you. www.bodyfattest.com (wfs) I hope you aren't claustrophobic bc the tanks are typically fairly small. Do it! Then you can use your scales for a frame of reference.
Christin, they will be in SB in 1 12/ weeks. However, if I do it at the University, I can do it anytime.

I have heard the tanks are claustrophobic too. Thanks for the warning.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #20
Helen Lawson

Profile:

The problem with the caliper pinch method is the accuracy/consistency of the person doing it. It isn't so much the fault of the tool or method itself, but an inexperienced person will come up with different numbers every time. When I do that method (either 3 or 7 sites) i come up with a variance of about 3-5% between 3 tries.

I use the OMRON hand held monitor which seems to be most accurate and consistent when you first get up in the morning before having anything to eat or drink. Not even 1 cup of coffee/juice first! Being a personal trainer i usually leave my OMRON with a client. I explain how to use it and have them test themselves once every 3-6 months when they get up in the morning. And that is only if they insist. I usually try to convince them to set aside a full set of clothes and repeated try on the same clothes every 3-6 months.