CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Eric Wallace

Profile:
Bill Starr's 5x5 heavy, light and medium days

I have been crossfitting on and off for about two years with several sabbaticals where I have been sucked back into LSD running, moving, and a month or two of not doing anything. During the last two years, it has become obvious that I need to get stronger, and about a month ago I decided to go on a dedicated strength program for the first time sense high school...about nine years ago.

I read several of Bill Starr's articles on the journal http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/03/...ard.tpl#_login (wfs). His programing was easy to digest and targeted the three major muscle groups: shoulder griddle, back and legs and hips. He wants you to lift, Mondays, Wednesday, and Friday with five sets of five each day. Mondays are the heavy day, Wednesday is the light day (your last round on wed is your third round on mon), and Friday is the medium day (your last round on fri is your fourth on mon). The plan was to lift mon, wed, and fri with a quick meticon directly after, and depending on how I was feeling, a shortish work out on Tuesday and Thursday.

After a month into his program, I was starting to feeling beat down ( that may also have something to do with being deployed and my sleep cycle and diet not being optimal). I have only been working out three times a week because I feel like I need the extra recover days. So this past week I went on 5x3 routine. Here is my work out log its mostly wfs http://w.wodclub.com/profiles/13204

So after all of that set up here, are my questions: 1) Should I stick with 5x5 three times a week because I have seen significant gains or 2) Should I go to 5x3 three times a week and try to mix in more meticons.

One final note, I should get home in about six weeks and will be rejoining a box so my adventure in trying to create my own programing will end...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Luis Fernandez

Profile:
Re: Bill Starr's 5x5 heavy, light and medium days

If I recall correctly the program you are referring to has a lot of squats. For this reason I would drop the metcons entirely and focus only on strength for now. Metcons will affect your recovery.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Seems like your recovery is the issue. Either back off the volume or eat more and try to rest better. You mentioned you are deployed, if you are conducting a lot of operations that might not be helping you with squat recovery.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Damon Stewart

Profile:

You may also consider moving to box squats. Not sure why but for some reason I find them easier to recover from. I've also had good success doing 5, 5, 5, 3, 3 rather than 5x5.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wallace View Post
...shoulder griddle...
Hey sorry, I know mistakes happen, but this really made me chuckle!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Martha Bralkowski

Profile:

I, too have been recently working my way through Bill's program. The first four weeks I felt well rested and recovered enough to supplement with short metcons after lifting or even on my rest days. Week 5 things got weird. Week six and I'm pretty much feeling banged up on my rest days, and metcons are out of the question. Eat, sleep, lift seem to be the mantra of this progression as of now. The program itself is working, really really well even, and if building strength is your goal, and it's working for you, by all means keep up the great work. I plan on getting as far as I can with this program, and when I start stalling out, rest a little, then go back to my regularly scheduled Crossfitting - hopefully a lot stronger than where I started off at.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Scott Currington

Profile:

I've done a few Bill Star cycles and found that a deload week around 4-6 weeks in helped a lot. I would do something like a week using the "light" day as a template, 4x5 of Squat, Bench, alternating cleans/deadlifts without ever really getting into a work set weight.

I never did much metcons with it, just ran 5k's on the off days. Kept me fresh for all the lifting and my dog liked it.

-Scott