CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Brian Loehr

Profile:
I am really interested in getting started with crossfit, and I was wondering if anyone can help me out, I am 488, and need help getting started. my mom would also like to start, she is a senior.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Brian,

There's some ideas on this thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/5699.html that will hopefully help you out.

Ryan
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey Brian,

Forgot to mention, the October 2004 issue of the CrossFit Journal gives examples of modifications to exercises for our benchmark workouts ('The Girls For Grandmas'). They were done with seniors in mind. Might give you some more ideas on how to properly scale the workouts in accordance with ability.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 04-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi Brian,

Here is another thread with good ideas.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/7032.html

Beth
Old 04-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Oh Duh! I just realized that thread was yours too! Hope it reminds you of some of the good ideas you were working with in January.

Is there any specific type of help you had in mind?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Brian,

The first step would definately be to get checked out by your physician.

The second would be to commit to a good, sound nutrition plan. The zone tends to be the favorite around here.

Compared to the nutrition plan, the WOD is easy. Meaning that the WOD takes dedication about 3-5 hours per week. The nutrition portion requires dedication for the other 163 hours of the week.

Start slow and work into it. For the things that you will not be able to do, ping the board for a good substitute.

We are ALL pulling for you.:smile:

Old 04-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Brian, best to you and your mom. We are pulling for ya!
These folks have helped me a LOT over the last couple years! These are the most inspirational (and smartest) people I've ever had the fortune of meeting. My mobility and strength have increased many times over.
No tricks, no magic (although it sure seems like it), just good old sweat and determination.
Maybe think of it this way: Right now, you are your own weight set. Just doing body weight exercises will get your heart pumping and make your muscles adapt (get stronger), which will increase your metabolism, which causes your body to burn fat. As you lose fat, and your cardiovascular system and your muscles gain strength, you will find you need to add more weight to your workouts to achieve the same effect.
When I first started, I couldn't walk up a single flight of stairs without getting winded. Now I can literally run up and down and back up steep hills.
Keep solid records of your performance, and soon you'll look at that first record, go back and do the same exact thing, and notice that it wasn't near as hard as it was the first time, so you'll push a little harder and record that, and so on.
And Frank is right about the diet being the most important part of it. Cut out all sugars and starches. No more candy, donuts, soda pops, bread potatoes, pie, cake, etc. Stick to meat, eggs, low fat cheeses and fresh or frozen veggies.
Now this may sound contrarian to Crossfit/Zone diet stuff we talk about, but when I first started, I did the pure Atkins diet. I just threw myself into ketosis (google that), and worked out. Many pounds just melted away. But as I lost the weight, I found that eating zero carbs had a negative effect on my workouts. I started feeling weaker, but I just kept grinding away at my workouts anyway, because I kept losing weight. Then when I got to a certain point, I noticed a decrease in my workout performances along with the fact that I wasn't losing weight anymore. So I started eating some carbs with my meat. Maybe a ham and cheese omelet, and an apple or orange for breakfast. Tuna salad and an apple for lunch. A chicken breast and a pile of frozen veggies for dinner. Maybe some nuts or low fat cottage cheese in between meals. And drink lots of water (helps mobilize the fat). Just keep the meals simple and small. Everytime your belly starts screaming, "feed me", drink some water and eat a couple hard boiled eggs (I pitch the yolks). Your belly will shut up for a while. You are the one to control your stomach pains, not the other way around. After a while, you'll discover that those poptarts or ding dongs don't seem so appealing anymore. Sure, at first your belly will scream and threaten to sue you, but you are the boss, and you are going to do things your way now, and it really does get a lot better. Especially after you start feeling and seeing results.
Also realize that most of the folks here have decided to make fitness their lifestyle. It's not a part time thing. It's 24/7/365. I myself figure I'm going to spend the rest of my life and then die trying to get into shape. Funny part is, the more I work, the further away death feels.
But at the same time, you have to reward yourself every once in a while. After you lose some weight go ahead and eat something disgusting, like a couple slices of pizza. You just can't let yourself slip into your previous negative eating habits.
You see, our society has really done a disservice to our lives. Especially the damn TV. It makes you sit idle and watch it while it tells you how good them cheescakes, twinkies and quarter pounders are. The TV is a death trap. Go for a walk with Crossfit instead.
Sure it a long slow process, but all you have is the rest of your life right? And your life will actually get longer because of this.

My dream is to die at 100, shot by a jealous 20 year old husband. :wink:
Old 04-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Great post Donald!

Apart from wanting to be shot by your future 20 year old husband...that's just bizarre...:rofl:
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Not MY jealous husband silly. A young wife's jealous 20 yo husband.
Oh boy, I fubared that one didn't I? :lol:
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Brian,
Remeber your thread back in January?
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/7032.html I know Beth mentioned it and others may have posted the link as well. I would hope that you had stuck with the program since then, but from what you said earlier, apparently not.
Remember, that your changes may come rapidly at first, considering your weight. Don't be surprised to find yourself losing 10-15 pounds the first month, maybe more as you have many pounds of fat that will shed along with water weight.
Do as has been suggested by Don; stick with body weight exercises until your strength can handle aditional resistance. Don't try anything fancy like trainers at the gym might push on you (plyometrics, stability work, machines, etc.). Use this board as your support group when you feel unmotivated or weak. We are buttkickers in the gym and life in general. We don't make excuses for ourselves and will literally pick up anyone else who struggles to keep them from quitting. Ask your sister, as she seems to be a stalwart CF'er in NY. We're a nutty bunch (especially Don), but we're pretty cool at the same time!
Squat, pull up (assisted or rows), sit up, push up, overhead presses. These will get both you and your mom going.
STICK WITH IT!!