CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Deadlift - correct form

Question:

When doing a deadlift should your hips be fairly low (like almost in a squat position) making it much more of a leg exercise or should your hips be slighly higher / raised (you'll probably be relying on your lower back alot more in this position). Also, I can't figure out when I'm supposed to start pulling? Hope these questions make sense.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Deadlift - correct form

Hip height will vary based on the length of your limbs and torso so there's no single "correct" hip height for everyone. Occasionally you'll see people pulling with their hips much lower but that's generally done more by Oly lifters who want to replicate the first pull of a clean rather than deadlift as much weight as possible.

Best way is to put the bar directly over the middle of your feet (not the balls of your feet), bend over and take your grip, rock your shins forward til they touch the bar, then lift your chest to set your lower back without moving your arms or the bar....Rip teaches it as STANCE-GRIP-SHINS-CHEST-PULL

That should put you in the correct position to start your pull. It shouldn't be a lower back exercise--your hamstrings and glutes should do a majority of the work though your quads may help with the first inch of the pull.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Re: Deadlift - correct form

Thanks Eric - this is useful advice.