CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Jon Yeo

Profile:
Strange issue encountered with one arm chin ups

So recently I have been doing one arm chin up negatives with each arm and to my amazement, my left arm was stronger than my right arm! I could descend with control with my left but when it came to my right, I went down more quickly. Also, my right grip felt weaker than my left one.

I am right-handed, my right forearm, bicep and lat is clearly quite a bit stronger than those of my left in all other exercises, and neither arm is injured.

I am utterly dumbfounded.

Does anyone have a clue here?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Strange issue encountered with one arm chin ups

Everybody has one arm stronger than the other. Usually it's the dominant arm eg. the right arm if you're right handed, but that isn't always the case. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Yeo View Post
So recently I have been doing one arm chin up negatives with each arm and to my amazement, my left arm was stronger than my right arm! I could descend with control with my left but when it came to my right, I went down more quickly. Also, my right grip felt weaker than my left one.

I am right-handed, my right forearm, bicep and lat is clearly quite a bit stronger than those of my left in all other exercises, and neither arm is injured.

I am utterly dumbfounded.

Does anyone have a clue here?

Thanks.
When I was much younger and could actually do one arm pu's I was the same way, I could do more with my left than right though in every other way my right arm was stronger. I attributed it to what I was doing while working, climbing and hanging on with my left arm while working with my right. Lots of hang time on the left arm. Could this be your experience also?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Jon Yeo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Erickson View Post
When I was much younger and could actually do one arm pu's I was the same way, I could do more with my left than right though in every other way my right arm was stronger. I attributed it to what I was doing while working, climbing and hanging on with my left arm while working with my right. Lots of hang time on the left arm. Could this be your experience also?
Oh that could be a possibility, but this has not been my experience. One thing I noticed about my arms is that when I extend them out in front of me facing up, my right arm curves out to the side from the elbow more than my left arm. I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem.