CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Dwight Stone

Profile:
Cambered Bar and Safety Squat (aka Yoke) Bar

Okay, I've done searches all over but I can't find *specifically* the differences between how these two bars work the body.

Can anyone who has used both give a complete description of what is worked less, and more, with these two bars? Preferably when doing squats and good mornings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Cambered Bar and Safety Squat (aka Yoke) Bar

Never used a cambered bar, but used to use a safety squat bar for assistance work on 5/3/1. They make the squat much more like a front squat in terms of being quad-focused but the upside is that you can do higher reps than with front squats because you don't have to worry about maintaining the front rack. They also seemed to tax my lower back more than normal squats though I'm not sure why.

I liked them for good mornings because the bar is much more secure on your back.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

The cambered bar is another option for people with bad shoulders who want to squat, the other being the yoke bar or SS bar.

The thing with the cambered bar is that it puts the centre of gravity in a different place, the weight rests somewhere different and can dominate you if you aren't careful.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

As Eric said the safety squat bar places the bar in a place that is between a front squat and back squat. It really pitches you forward and makes you work on keeping upright. The shoulder pads make it easier on your shoulders as well. Typically you can handle more weight than a front squat and less weight than a back squat.

Cambered bar almost makes the squat more of a leg press. To me the position is more true to a low bar back squat but can take the pressure off your shoulders and for me allowed more load on the bar.

If I could only have one, I'd take the safety squat bar. I felt the added value of a cambered bar isn't that much different than a regular straight bar.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
As Eric said the safety squat bar places the bar in a place that is between a front squat and back squat. It really pitches you forward and makes you work on keeping upright. The shoulder pads make it easier on your shoulders as well. Typically you can handle more weight than a front squat and less weight than a back squat.

Cambered bar almost makes the squat more of a leg press. To me the position is more true to a low bar back squat but can take the pressure off your shoulders and for me allowed more load on the bar.

If I could only have one, I'd take the safety squat bar. I felt the added value of a cambered bar isn't that much different than a regular straight bar.
would you say it's very hamstring dominated, then?

Last edited by Dwight Stone : 04-25-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

For me I felt cambered bar felt more like a low bar squat and I'd use hip drive. So compared to a front/safety or high bar, it's definitely more hamstring, but it wouldn't be my go to to hit the posterior chain.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:

If cambered bar squats felt the same as straight bar squats you were doing something wrong my friend. The cambered bar puts you in such an unstable position, not to mention the weight swaying back and forth, AND hand positioning being down around the waist level, therefore it shouldn't at all feel like a straight bar back squat. This is the last bar i'd want a beginner touching.

Real cambered squat bar: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=212&pid=259 (WFS)
cambered BENCH bar: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=212&pid=20 (wfs)

Just so there's no confusion as to which people are talking about/using.

This bar will totally teach you to be SUPER tight though so as to minimize being all over the place with the weight.

BOTH are great to save your shoulders though for guys who have bad shoulders and reaching back to a straight bar bothers them these are great options.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Yeah, that's the type of bar I'm talking about, not the bench one. I grip it on the vertical posts.

I agree that the bar is not as stable as a straight bar. Maybe I'm so short that the weight carries by my center of gravity, hence it is more stable for me than a safety squat bar which seems to pitch the weight more forward (I really have to keep my chest up with the safety), whereas the cambered seems to pull the weight back for me as I sit down and back.

When I come out of the bottom, the weight does sway forward, but it almost seems to go with the momentum of coming out of the hole.

I was looking at my sets of 5, and for me from lowest to highest:

front squat < safety squat </= high bar < low bar </= cambered bar.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong. I even felt I sat deeper in the cambered squat than the straight.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
If cambered bar squats felt the same as straight bar squats you were doing something wrong my friend. The cambered bar puts you in such an unstable position, not to mention the weight swaying back and forth, AND hand positioning being down around the waist level, therefore it shouldn't at all feel like a straight bar back squat. This is the last bar i'd want a beginner touching.

Real cambered squat bar: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=212&pid=259 (WFS)
cambered BENCH bar: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=212&pid=20 (wfs)

Just so there's no confusion as to which people are talking about/using.

This bar will totally teach you to be SUPER tight though so as to minimize being all over the place with the weight.

BOTH are great to save your shoulders though for guys who have bad shoulders and reaching back to a straight bar bothers them these are great options.
So, I'm working with a golfer's elbow problem right now, and can't squat low bar without aggravating it. I have a real problem with what feels like upper pec flexibility when I try to get under the bar with a thumbless grip. ANY pressure on that elbow area kills me right now. Do you think that 4-inch bar (for the bench, typically), do you think, be able to alleviate the pressure?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, that's the type of bar I'm talking about, not the bench one. I grip it on the vertical posts.

I agree that the bar is not as stable as a straight bar. Maybe I'm so short that the weight carries by my center of gravity, hence it is more stable for me than a safety squat bar which seems to pitch the weight more forward (I really have to keep my chest up with the safety), whereas the cambered seems to pull the weight back for me as I sit down and back.

When I come out of the bottom, the weight does sway forward, but it almost seems to go with the momentum of coming out of the hole.

I was looking at my sets of 5, and for me from lowest to highest:

front squat < safety squat </= high bar < low bar </= cambered bar.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong. I even felt I sat deeper in the cambered squat than the straight.
It sounds to me like you are relatively strong in the hips/legs, and weaker in the mid/upper back if I'm understanding how these bars work...