CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Michael Prather

Profile:
Perfecting My Air Squat

I'm coming off an injury and before I get back to working out in earnest I'm retooling my squat starting from the beginning with the air squat.

I'm pretty solid until I get below parallel, at which point my chest goes forward some and I get a slight butt wink.

To remedy this I've been working the 3rd world squat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=7XwKnk16Zbs

My question is this: should I do the 3rd world squat if in a butt to grass position my lumbar is very comprised? Is this how it is supposed to be at the beginning?

Any other advice would be appreciated also.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Kerry Kubla

Profile:
Re: Perfecting My Air Squat

I have found the best to fix this is face a wall and bring your feet closer and closer while squatting. The wall will force you to keep your chest up and knees out.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

My understanding is that the 3rd world squat is a mobility tool to help your hips and low back. But, it is not the ideal position for exercise squats, barbell squats, front squats etc.

I think most who go into the 3rd world squat will have some lumbar flexion, but keep in mind this is unloaded lumbar flexion.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Keep driving the knees out, which will help with the butt wink. TBH, though, a slight butt wink in an air squat isn't particularly concerning, unless it carries over to weighted squats, which for many does not.