CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Amira Stevens

Profile:
Biggest Obstacle(s)

I'm opening up my box and I'm curious what was the biggest or the top 2 to 3 biggest obstacles or issues affiliate owners had in the early stages of opening their gym? I'm a planner and just wondering if the top main issues have been the same between affiliate owners. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Corey Coleman

Profile:
Re: Biggest Obstacle(s)

We are still only getting started (finishing build-out in about a week), but I can already say that the first thing you should do is find an attorney and an accountant. That is advice I have received from entrepreneurs in many varied fields. They should/will both be able to help with everything from the lease to setting up accounts, to incorporation. That isn't to say you shouldn't handle as much as possible on your own to save cost, but having someone to double check major transactions and decisions before pulling the trigger definitely saved us some heart ache, and probably got us a little extra added in our lease.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Amira Stevens

Profile:

Thank you, these 2 specific things I'm quite blessed being that I have connections for both. Mostly I'm looking for issues that may arise that I have not already thought of. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Saul Garcia

Profile:

Politics aside (Red tape with LLC paperwork, business license, etc), the biggest obstacle has been equipment.

We had to sit back and order upon signing of the lease. Most equipment suppliers charge a premium for flooring, we went the Tractor Supply route, but it was hard to get the volume we were looking for. Took a couple of days. Right now we don't have a rig because it's in the manufacturing process. Our "Grand Opening" is at the end of the month, our current members are happy with the new facility/equipment and are patient enough to deal with the transition.

The equipment situation may be different for everyone, talked to a few that said that part was easy but that is because they basically wrote a blank check to Rogue or Again Faster. We didn't have that type of capital.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Amira Stevens

Profile:

We are also not getting everything from Rogue. I am looking to save on every piece of equipment to get started with so thank you and I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Alex Burden

Profile:

Your budget must be one of the biggest challenges you have.

Have you looked into buying equipment from CF owners that have made the decision to close or move on.

Of course it's a shame for any business for this to happen but this can be of advantage to you.

I have noticed in this forum that there have been a number of owners selling equipment, so why not contact them.

You can probably find some good equipment for a good price.