CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Mike Derasmo

Profile:
First OLY shoe.. Recommendations?

So Im looking for my first OLy shoe. I have tried on a couple at my local box from friends and now I would like to have some for Olympic lifting/Strength days.

Im looking to spend from $90-120 on a pair.

I can get the Reeboks at a discount (110 shipped) so ill include them in my list.

So, for choices i have:

-Rogue Do-Wins
-Adidas Trainers
-Reebok Oly's (at discount)
-Pendlays
-Risto's

And honestly, Im stumped. I don't know enough about all of them to make a choice. What do you all think would be the best buy?

Or should I shell out the other 80 bucks and get the Nikes or Adistas?

Maybe I could find a gently used shoes on here?....

Help!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: First OLY shoe.. Recommendations?

I honestly have no idea. So if you're like me, then the oly shoes you get will be perfect because you'll know no difference.
I use the rogue do-wins (2011) and like them just fine. The only thing I dislike is that they do look a little orthopedic.... that's it and means very little considering what we're doing. This fit is the same as any of my other shoes .... maybe a hair larger. The laces are like 17 feet long, but apparently that's so you can double knot them.....and after double knotting them it would seem that is exactly the reason why they are so long.

Just a point on the adistars. Are you meaning this type ?
http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/produc...Star08FRS.html WFS

If so, a team usa lifter I know told me the soles on those shoes should only ever be used on a platform. They will get destroyed if used on mats. How true that is ? Don't know but I preferred to not take that risk and figured it was pretty sound advice, considering the source. Just a friendly warning for your research. Don't know about other models.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 10-02-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Luke Conner

Profile:

They'll all do the job.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I have the do-wins and I like them. I use them mainly for squats however. Not a ton of onlympic lifting. I have heard that they have problems with durability and the toe will start to split in about 6-8 months with regular lifting. This is actually happening to a friend of mine right now so I guess there's some truth to it.

The Nikes are the sturdiest shoe I have ever seen in person or held. I have never lifted in it but comparing just the construction of it to the new Adidas, reebok, or do-wins they are built like a tank. I feel confident they would last you quite a while. They are heavy though.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Adam Molnar

Profile:

I just did some search for myself, and narrow down as follows-might be helpfull for you aswell:

First choice:
Adidas Powerlift trainer - $90 with free shipping from Rogue/3 color options - http://www.roguefitness.com/adidas-p...light-onix.php - WFS

Secondary:
VS Athletics Weightlifting Shoes - $79.95+shipping
http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1301 - WFS

You can find nicely detailed reviews on both here, in this forum.

I think, in this price range, they will do fine, the next level would be the Nike Romaleos or Adidas Adipower, but they are too pricey for me.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I have the do-wins and I like them. I use them mainly for squats however. Not a ton of onlympic lifting. I have heard that they have problems with durability and the toe will start to split in about 6-8 months with regular lifting. This is actually happening to a friend of mine right now so I guess there's some truth to it.
i can second the do-wins. I like them, they are comfortable and fit very well. But alas the fashion does come at a price and they do rip, but i just duct-taped the toe and they are back to normal, just a bit less pretty (who cares)
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Mike, in that price range, your best bet may be to consider the Again Faster Team Oly Shoe https://www.againfaster.com/en/shop/...-lifting-shoe/ (WFS)

They are reasonably priced ($99 with free shipping), USA made and offered by Again Faster who are known for outstanding products and customer service. The only other question will be fit. If you have a standard "D" width shoe you should be okay with most Olympic weightlifting shoes. Wider foot sizes are problematic.

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 10-03-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Justin Baum

Profile:

i second the VS. it was my first, and still only, pair of lifting shoes. i went with the least expensive option and it's been great. i'm sure spending more will get you something (three stripes? brand name?) but i haven't missed it.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Justin M. Furtado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
The laces are like 17 feet long.
Oh my God dude seriously I don't know why but I was tummy hurt laughing when I read this. Thanks I needed that
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Stephen G Hubbard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Spritz View Post
Mike, in that price range, your best bet may be to consider the Again Faster Team Oly Shoe https://www.againfaster.com/en/shop/...-lifting-shoe/ (WFS)

They are reasonably priced ($99 with free shipping), USA made and offered by Again Faster who are known for outstanding products and customer service. The only other question will be fit. If you have a standard "D" width shoe you should be okay with most Olympic weightlifting shoes. Wider foot sizes are problematic.

I just got my Again Faster Oly shoes and really like them. I wear a size 11.5 Innov8 and the 11.5 AF Oly Shoe fits great.
Good luck!