CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Aaron Zanchi

Profile:
Question Large Leg length and Iliac crest height discrepency

*This is coming as the result of a lower back injury and some research I've done on my own. If you want to read about the injury sustainment please see the following thread: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77312

Current situation:

When relaxed and lying flat on the floor. My left ankle is 3/4" lower than my right.

When standing and relaxed, the iliac crest is 1.5" higher on the left side.

**It should be noted that I broke my left femur as a child and have always had an anatomical difference in leg length. Post-injury it seems to be accentuated.

The muscular portion of the injury seems to be making positive improvement by the hour and as function returns to the area there is a definition to the "troubles" that is also revealing itself.

I actually feel a little crooked when I walk. I feel the discrepancy in height. Normally it's not so obvious.

I wonder if the injury was sustained, in part, due to torque created by this discrepancy and there was a slip in the joint because of the torque.

The left leg is longer, the left iliac crest is significantly higher and the muscular injury seems to be localized on the left side of the spine near the sacrum, if not on it. And there is a localized pressure(hard to describe) in the sacrum area whenever I lean forward, almost like a joint needs to pop.

Does this sound like a SacroIliac issue?
Should I wait for a week or two until the muscular portion of the injury is healed to see if the discrepancy hangs around. Maybe it's just the tightness of all the muscles on the left side pulling up on my hip?

Maybe this tidbit will be helpful as well. When I move my legs through range of motion, there is crackin and poppin present in the lower back. There normally isn't. (hanging from a bar...pulling knees above hip and bringing back down)

Any help and/or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Fan Yang

Profile:
Re: Large Leg length and Iliac crest height discrepency

sounds like you have some assymetry due to a known condition, I personally have some sort of assym pelvic tilt and leg length due to flatfootedness and mild scoliosis, I always tear my left glute on deadlifts at around the same weight (approaching 400lb) so I eventurally gave up as I was injurying myself without even really feeling the weight as being heavy. any assym increases possibility of injury, your two sides are simply not seeing the same amount of force being applied. as for SI "issue" your probably ok, SI joint pain is usually quite severe, and if it didn't hurt much without you pressing on it, I'd just leave it alone. THe SI joint is extremely durable and won't fall apart even in patients with severe joint pain.