CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-15-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Here's a link for Barry Sear's bodyfat calculator: http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/calculator.asp

That site as a whole has a bunch of stuff. I suppose some may fault him for being "commercial", whatever that means. I personally think it's great that someone with his academic background is so entrepreneurial. I don't get the sense at all that his original intent was to make money. His family has a serious history of heart disease.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Barry-

If you ever get a chance to attned one of his seminars do so. He is smooooooth!
Robb
Old 10-15-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

LMAO it said I don't even register. 18, male, 5'7, 147, 28.5 waist, 6.25 wrist, active. When I upped my waist to 29, it told me I was at 4%. It's a nice boost to the ego though ;)

-Jay
Old 10-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
My calculations were about right - I'm about 8-10, it put out 10. I think I may be slightly lower than that now, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:50 AM   #5
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Excuse me guys but i donŽt get how this can be even fairly accurate in some instances. For example, on a good day/week/whatever, I may be close 7-8%. However I gain mostly around my glutes and lower back so I fail to see how measuring my wrist and my waist could tell me my BF.

If there was a convenient way to measure your BF% every two or so, like you measure your weight on a scale then IŽd do it. But go get in a water tank or something just seems silly to me.

(Im such an idiot, theyŽd probably be banging for me to get out since IŽd definately see it as a good oppurtunity to test my apnea)!:biggrin:
Old 10-16-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You measure it around your belly button, so the glutes shouldn't affect anything, unless you are talking about MAJOR glute development.

Men tend to gain fat around their belly, so the goal is to determine with your wrist a baseline as far as how "big boned" you are, use the waist to establish how much abdominal fat you have, and compare height and weight.

It's just a rule of thumb. I'd guess it's plus or minus about 5%. Still, it's quick and easy. I'm personally not someone who sweats a few points here and there. I've read there are downsides to getting your fat too low, as well. Sears suggests about 15% as ideal for men, and 23% (I think) for women. We got some lean and mean dudes on this website who would have a fit if they got that high, though, I'm sure.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Heh, "If your weight is more than 140 your waist minus wrist measurements must be between 22.5 and 38 inches". They didn't account for people who do pommel horse and have big ole wrists. With my measurements it's coming out low.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roger- same here..

-Jay