CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Adam Castagno

Profile:
Calf Strain rehab

Hey,
I am looking for some added advice on the rehab of a calf muscle strain.
Background into the injury. The Injury first started on Friday 3/2, after doing a double under test I developed a sharp pain on my right calf on the lateral aspect of where the gastro and soleus cross, most likely on the soleus itself. I continued with the WOD Friday which consisted of back squats then a metcon of burpees and gobbler squats, the burpees seemed to abbreviate it further, and by the end of the WOD till I got home I had limited use of that muscle group. For the whole weekend I wore compression stalkings, rolled out the spot and alternated with ice and heat, by sunday it felt pretty good and I re-tried the 12.2 open WOD without problem. Come yesterday my calf felt pretty good. I had a good warm up, and initiated a WOD, only to injure myself worse than before, and in a completely new spot on my calf (still the same leg).
Now the pain is either right at the bottom of my gastroc where the achilles attaches, or underneath this where the soleus runs (I am most likely guessing the latter of the two, but it is a little difficult to ID exactly where the pain is). Anyway the injury has made walking hard. There is minimal if any swelling, no bruising/ecchymosis, just pain, which come this am is doing better. Once again I have the stalkings on, using ice (no heat) and have been rolling/lacrosse ball working the site plus stretching.
Basically my question is, is rolling out/using the Lax ball on this site this early beneficial to recovery, or is it causing too much inflammation etc at this stage in the game? I have to say after doing this therapy and then stretching after it feels much better to talk on. I have been icing after I give myself this therapy as well.
Any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Calf Strain rehab

I have fought these for a while and have figured out the number one thing you can do to heal is to rest it. No lower body work for two weeks, maybe take some easy walks in the second week. Then come back slow and easy. Prevention is another conversation.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Good Advice! Probably the one thing I tend to over look the most and shy away from... Looks like I will most likely NOT be doing the 3rd workout of the open
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
Good Advice! Probably the one thing I tend to over look the most and shy away from... Looks like I will most likely NOT be doing the 3rd workout of the open
It sucks, but you never know. The next one could be pullups, pushups, and abmat situps...

Anyway, I am no expert, but having been into sports and fitness for fun and work for over 20 years I have learned that my biggest enemy is coming back too soon and too hard. That has led to more reinjury and more development of repetitive problems than I care to count. You might also see someone about your biomechanics - ankle stability, gait, posture, etc. All these things can be the root of the problem. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Adam Castagno

Profile:

I wish K-Star followed this forum!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
I wish K-Star followed this forum!!!
You have what sounds like a gastroc muscle tear, probably partial and stretching and rolling gently are OK, you don't want to overstretch it and certainly don't want to run through it or jump through it. Minor strains can take 1-2 weeks major ones 4-6 weeks.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Dr. Rockett, Thanks for the feedback. That is what I figured happened, and just wanted to make sure my rehab wasn't going to set myself back further. I am def. going to have to take it easy... which I tend to not do well. Don't want to be out longer than I have to. Worse comes to worse I'll have to make an appt. with you.

Thanks again, see ya around the Newt!

Last edited by Adam Castagno : 03-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...uscle-strains/
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Just to correct myself, I actually think I injured my Soleus, not gastroc. I had my anatomy backwards... been a while since I studied it and after finally reviewing it this am, realized I had the two backwards.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Steve, I have seen this link before, and as always, I learn from it. Thank you for sending it along. It is a great resource for anyone who does any sort of athletics... Gotta work on the Pre-Hab!