CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Jack Swanson

Profile:
SLAP Repair ~ Recovery ~

I had some questions regarding my SLAP repair that my physical therapist could not answer. I want to start by saying I had the procedure done in november of 2011 and have been actively doing all of my exercises since beginning therapy just after the new year. I am currently 17 weeks out and am feeling great with mobility and working hard on increasing my strength back up.

Question when did you went back to crossfit and what you were limited too?

Thanks for the help, any insight would be awesome guys!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Jack Swanson

Profile:
Re: SLAP Repair ~ Recovery ~

Excuse the horrible grammar!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Gravel Brown

Profile:

Im 9 months post op re SLAP repair with 4 anchors. My PT and surgeon have both told me to stay away from heavy overhead exercises as this is where the shoulder joint is most vulnerable. They also said to be wary of pullups as this loads the shoulder joint aswell. They said that movements such as benchpress etc are fine as the shoulder joint is more supported here.

Obvioulsy this puts a huge dent in most Crossfit workouts as many of the movements are overhead, snatches, thrusters, KB swings.. the list goes on.

This is just something ive learnt to accept and i now plan to gear my workouts accordingly. Id rather do this than risk re-injuring the joint and having another surgery.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Like Gravel, I had 4 anchors. I'm now 10 months out and am now 44 y.o. In the past month or so, I noticed I could finally sleep on the shoulder normally, and finally am completely pain free when moving in any direction. I do pull ups, OH squats, snatches, presses, jerks, etc. The only things I refrain from are kipping pull ups, knees to elbows, and toes to bar. Not sure I'll ever do those exercises again, and I've always refrained from SDHPs.

I had a really top notch surgeon and physical therapist. The PT had me start doing strict pull ups about 12 weeks post op, and I had started really light pressing a couple of weeks prior to that. At 16 weeks I was cleared to return to all activities, but knew that I needed to avoid some obvious exercises.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Jack Swanson

Profile:

I am twenty years old; apart from you guys I had 2 anchors. With a great surgeon and am currently working with the best pt in Austin at Texas Orthopedics I feel great at 17 weeks but I haven't even tried to do any sort of pull ups. Since I was already in great shape from crossfit; my shoulder was already strong so I am just whipping through her strengthening exercises changing them every time I see her. I am planning on following everything she tells me to do and she says I should be able to return to my full activities in less than a year. But I wanted some insight from some crossfitters because she knows what crossfit is but has never attempted a wod ever before.

Thanks again guys great help! Would love some more of others situations though!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swanson View Post
I am twenty years old; apart from you guys I had 2 anchors. With a great surgeon and am currently working with the best pt in Austin at Texas Orthopedics I feel great at 17 weeks but I haven't even tried to do any sort of pull ups. Since I was already in great shape from crossfit; my shoulder was already strong so I am just whipping through her strengthening exercises changing them every time I see her. I am planning on following everything she tells me to do and she says I should be able to return to my full activities in less than a year. But I wanted some insight from some crossfitters because she knows what crossfit is but has never attempted a wod ever before.

Thanks again guys great help! Would love some more of others situations though!
Hi Jack I am a sports medicine doc and specialize in shoulders, knees, and hips. I have been doing Crossfit for 5 years at CFNE. I have operated on many people who Crossfit and I usually tell people 4-6 months for heavy lifting and 9 months for explosive activities like Crossfit, pitching, etc..Check out my website and you can see the protocol I use for getting people back to activities.

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Jack Swanson

Profile:

Thanks Sean, I am sure my pt is following something similar comparing me at week 17 and where your plan is at week 16-20. I am more interested in maybe if I should ever watch for specific exercises in crossfit when I am finally released to all activities.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swanson View Post
Thanks Sean, I am sure my pt is following something similar comparing me at week 17 and where your plan is at week 16-20. I am more interested in maybe if I should ever watch for specific exercises in crossfit when I am finally released to all activities.
So there is something called the peel back test that we see arthroscopically in the shoulder at the time of surgery. When the arm is externally rotated and abducted at 90 degrees ( referee touchdown pose) the biceps labral attachement in a slap tear is more pronounced or it "peels back" off the bone where it is supposed to be attached to. So as you see in this post people with SLAP tears usually have problems with things like pullups, OHS, jerks, HSPUs. I have repaired people and they have gotten back to doing these things, but you do have to be careful with it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Jack Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
So there is something called the peel back test that we see arthroscopically in the shoulder at the time of surgery. When the arm is externally rotated and abducted at 90 degrees ( referee touchdown pose) the biceps labral attachement in a slap tear is more pronounced or it "peels back" off the bone where it is supposed to be attached to. So as you see in this post people with SLAP tears usually have problems with things like pullups, OHS, jerks, HSPUs. I have repaired people and they have gotten back to doing these things, but you do have to be careful with it. Hope this helps.
Absolutely Sean, this helps alot. Thanks for sharing this with me. The worst part is having to wait this long to return to action; I dont mind doing all the exercises prescribed but just not being able to do heavy lifting is just horrible.

Thanks again!