CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Jonathan Dudley

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Hurts People

Did you mean CrossFitERS hurt people?

If so, I agree
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Fair enough. Do you think the higher box jumps becoming standard (24 vs 20 for men) is leading to this? Fight Gone Band (with 20" box jumps) has been a standard workout for a LONG time yet I never heard of Achilles ruptures from any workouts until recently (basically 2011 CF Open time frame).
The extra height could certainly be contributing. 4" doesn't sound like much at first, but that's a 20% increase and an even larger increase impact force since kinetic energy increases non-linearly.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
There is this one thread, on another forum, that documents about 200 cases of rhabdo by crossfitters as well as busted shoulders and blown achilles.

It's a well known forum from a gym that used to be CF until they had this blowout with this guy in CFHQ.

Both the initials are in the middle of the alphabet and aren't N&O and are before and after those letters.
I am not sure that "documented" is the best descriptor for the injuries on the Performance Menu forum. What is contained there is simply internet postings and screen captures from that thread originator's life searching the internet for anything negative about Crossfit. There are some that have medical diagnoses of Rhabdo, but the great majority have no medical basis whatsoever. Based on my interactions with that thread's originator and his bold-faced lies and trolling throughout the entire thread, as well as the reason for him being banned from the PM forum for establishing alter ego Screen names and arguing with himself to further the thread, leads me to not put much stock into ANYTHING that this individual has posted. It seems that he was introduced to Crossfit and thought it was the greatest, did not follow any sort of programming, documented 54 Frans from 5/10/08 to 01/23/09 based on his log on this discussion board, resulted in becoming overtrained and injured and then starts to bash the entire method for almost an entire year on the PM forum. Now that he has been banned from the PM foroum, the thread in question has had less than five posts in over a month.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #24
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I think the perception relates to our own inability to understand statistics and whatever cognative biases we hold (mine included). Simply relying on anecdotal stories/evidence to draw broad conclusions is spurrious at best. Here are a few that I can think of that relate to this dicussion

"I heard Crossfit causes injuries, therefore I won't do it"
Anchoring effect the tendency to rely too heavily, or "anchor," on a past reference or on one trait or piece of information when making decisions

"I hear Crossfit causes injuries, I searched the internet for stories and I found stories that show I was right"
Confirmation bias the tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconception

Without any kind of rigor applied to the data, it's nothing more than conjecture and speculation to me.

Now that's not to discount certain claims. I can see David's point about box jumps in particular causing achillies injuries. But on a larger scale it's hard for me to simply buy the argument that Crossfit is somehow more dangerous as measured by frequency/severity of injuries compared to any other rigorous physcial activity.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I am not sure that "documented" is the best descriptor for the injuries on the Performance Menu forum. What is contained there is simply internet postings and screen captures from that thread originator's life searching the internet for anything negative about Crossfit.
Yeah. Including counting all posts containing the word "rhabdo," whether they're actually about a case or not. So this post would count. So would just about any post in a rhabdo thread, even if only the thread starter had actually been injured.

Katherine
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #26
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
I am not sure that "documented" is the best descriptor for the injuries on the Performance Menu forum. What is contained there is simply internet postings and screen captures from that thread originator's life searching the internet for anything negative about Crossfit. There are some that have medical diagnoses of Rhabdo, but the great majority have no medical basis whatsoever. Based on my interactions with that thread's originator and his bold-faced lies and trolling throughout the entire thread, as well as the reason for him being banned from the PM forum for establishing alter ego Screen names and arguing with himself to further the thread, leads me to not put much stock into ANYTHING that this individual has posted. It seems that he was introduced to Crossfit and thought it was the greatest, did not follow any sort of programming, documented 54 Frans from 5/10/08 to 01/23/09 based on his log on this discussion board, resulted in becoming overtrained and injured and then starts to bash the entire method for almost an entire year on the PM forum. Now that he has been banned from the PM foroum, the thread in question has had less than five posts in over a month.
54 Frans in under a year
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #27
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Old 11-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
54 Frans in under a year
About 13 weeks shy by my calculations...hmm 54 Frans/39 weeks of logged workouts...roughly 1.4 Frans a week! Holy smoked!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #29
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It wasn't done that way Katherine but do what thou will.

Even without his thread, this forum's injury section would suffice.

In not that all CF trainers and gyms are bad, it's probably not that most of them are; but more than likely there are a handful especially the inexperienced ones that end up cropping up rhabdo or compartment syndrome or SLAP or achilles tears.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
It wasn't done that way Katherine but do what thou will.
Maybe we're talking about different threads. There's definitely at least one out there that worked that way: it included several posts of mine, and I *know* I haven't had rhabdo.

Katherine