CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Hurts People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Of course Crossfit hurts people. I mean have you ever done Fran? I was in pain for hours and had some shocking DOMs and Fran Cough.

And dont get me started on the 2009 Games Chipper that hurt my Soul
"fran cough". I totally get that every time...once in a while leads to "hello pukey"
Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

If anyone talks about CF being dangerous I counter with a "CF is somewhat more dangerous than elliptical and poor quality machine work but is not dangerous compared to ANY RECREATIONAL SPORT WITH OTHER PEOPLE." I am AMAZED the kinds of injuries that I learn about at my work from softball, flag football, soccer, even kickball. Whenever I see someone (in or outside the gym) with an injury I ask them about it and 9 times out of 10 it was done in a team sport or was just a freak accident not related to work in the gym.

Best injury I've seen: Shattered eye socket from a kickball game. The runner tried to jump over the guy I know, and ended up kneeing him in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
While the Rip quote largely rings true, Crossfit is uniquely fond of a few particularly high-risk exercises. There are a few common sense mods that would greatly reduce injury potential:

WODs like today's with high-rep GHD situps probably shouldn't be programed at all, and if they are you shouldn't have to click through multiple BrandX links to find a wholly inadequate rhabdo warning.

The FAQ for "What if I can't do pullups?" should be amended to state that jumping pullups and negatives should never be done for high reps for time.

People who can't do a respectable amount of strict pullups (IMO, minimum 10 for men and 5 for women) shouldn't be doing kipping pullups at all.

Box jumps should probably be limited to 50 max in a WOD, and the jump back down to the ground should be done with a soft, controlled landing or stepped down. A shocking number of people have blown their achilles tendon on box jumps.
Good guidelines for GHD and pullups. I have to ask though, what data is the achilles thing based on?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Good guidelines for GHD and pullups. I have to ask though, what data is the achilles thing based on?
Mostly affiliate blogs, personal blogs and FB posts aggregated elsewhere. Virtually without fail, if someone has ruptured an achilles doing CF it was rebounding the landing a box jump. The per capita rate is probably really low, but an achilles rupture is such a severe injury (easily a $20-30k surgery plus PT, totally sidelined for at least 6 months, with a good chance that you will never recover 100%) that the risk has to be taken very seriously IMO.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Dean View Post
Mostly affiliate blogs, personal blogs and FB posts aggregated elsewhere. Virtually without fail, if someone has ruptured an achilles doing CF it was rebounding the landing a box jump. The per capita rate is probably really low, but an achilles rupture is such a severe injury (easily a $20-30k surgery plus PT, totally sidelined for at least 6 months, with a good chance that you will never recover 100%) that the risk has to be taken very seriously IMO.
Fair enough. Do you think the higher box jumps becoming standard (24 vs 20 for men) is leading to this? Fight Gone Band (with 20" box jumps) has been a standard workout for a LONG time yet I never heard of Achilles ruptures from any workouts until recently (basically 2011 CF Open time frame).
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
William Hoke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Depends on a number of things. Do you think either of these hurt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSSnrbnYiUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai6OZ7zaa_Y
definitely a fear of mine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
the moment you even try and rationalize and devise a way to "respond to nonsense", you have already lost the game. Why bother?
yeah, i thought about that but then what kind of person would I be if I just let someone walk around ignorant and not try to help them out
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
David Fletcher

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hoke View Post
yeah, i thought about that but then what kind of person would I be if I just let someone walk around ignorant and not try to help them out
In real life, sure. Do that on the internet and you'll soon become a raging 13 year old again. Happens to the best of us.

I've personally known a lot of people that tried crossfit then quit because it "hurt too much." They then tell people that they were always sore, and that translates into crossfit = soreness = injury because most people don't understand the difference between soreness and injury. Combine that with the people that were raised to believe "no pain no gain" and you're gonna have people actually hurting themselves to provide the evidence that crossfit can indeed hurt you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
If anyone talks about CF being dangerous I counter with a "CF is somewhat more dangerous than elliptical and poor quality machine work but is not dangerous compared to ANY RECREATIONAL SPORT WITH OTHER PEOPLE." I am AMAZED the kinds of injuries that I learn about at my work from softball, flag football, soccer, even kickball. Whenever I see someone (in or outside the gym) with an injury I ask them about it and 9 times out of 10 it was done in a team sport or was just a freak accident not related to work in the gym.
I can vouch for this, my sister in law broke three different peoples noses in the course of a month playing squash - she nearly added me to the list except I got out the way, felt the breeze though
Old 11-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I think you need look no farther than the injury section on this very board to have your question answered.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #19
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
I think you need look no farther than the injury section on this very board to have your question answered.
The problem with that Rob is I suspect you could say the same about any exercise message board.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:04 AM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

There is this one thread, on another forum, that documents about 200 cases of rhabdo by crossfitters as well as busted shoulders and blown achilles.

It's a well known forum from a gym that used to be CF until they had this blowout with this guy in CFHQ.

Both the initials are in the middle of the alphabet and aren't N&O and are before and after those letters.