CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
William Hoke

Profile:
CrossFit Hurts People

I personally do not believe this , but I hear it all the time and it frustrates me to the point where I stop thinking rationally and cannot formulate a proper response.

So I am coming to the wonderful people on this forum for their help with how to respond to this nonsense.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Hurts People

All forms of working out hurt people. This being the case, I'd rather be under the guidance of a trainer I trust and surrounded by other people doing same stuff than in a globo doing random exercises pretending other people don't exist.

To paraphrase Rippetoe "Injuries are the price we pay sometimes for not sitting on our ***"
Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hoke View Post
I personally do not believe this , but I hear it all the time and it frustrates me to the point where I stop thinking rationally and cannot formulate a proper response.

So I am coming to the wonderful people on this forum for their help with how to respond to this nonsense.
Depends on a number of things. Do you think either of these hurt....
Link deleted. You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Name an activity that doesn't carry potential for injury.

Bad form hurts people. Doing stupid workouts that exceed their ability hurts people. And yes, Crossfit sometimes includes those things. (As do other sports.) But what about impact with hard surfaces or people? (martial arts, contact sports, running) What about torque applied to knees and elbows (martial arts, contact sports, gymnastics)? And the list goes on and on.

Life has risks. Get over it.

Katherine
Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hoke View Post
how to respond to this nonsense.

the moment you even try and rationalize and devise a way to "respond to nonsense", you have already lost the game. Why bother?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Daniel Dean

Profile:

While the Rip quote largely rings true, Crossfit is uniquely fond of a few particularly high-risk exercises. There are a few common sense mods that would greatly reduce injury potential:

WODs like today's with high-rep GHD situps probably shouldn't be programed at all, and if they are you shouldn't have to click through multiple BrandX links to find a wholly inadequate rhabdo warning.

The FAQ for "What if I can't do pullups?" should be amended to state that jumping pullups and negatives should never be done for high reps for time.

People who can't do a respectable amount of strict pullups (IMO, minimum 10 for men and 5 for women) shouldn't be doing kipping pullups at all.

Box jumps should probably be limited to 50 max in a WOD, and the jump back down to the ground should be done with a soft, controlled landing or stepped down. A shocking number of people have blown their achilles tendon on box jumps.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Soccer/football is probably the most dangerous sport and not many people seem to criticise it. Don't mind the worthless comments. If done incorrectly, everything is dangerous.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Ben Norris

Profile:

Of course Crossfit hurts people. I mean have you ever done Fran? I was in pain for hours and had some shocking DOMs and Fran Cough.

And dont get me started on the 2009 Games Chipper that hurt my Soul
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Of course Crossfit hurts people. I mean have you ever done Fran? I was in pain for hours and had some shocking DOMs and Fran Cough.
And you're proud of that?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
And you're proud of that?
Ummmm yes.......