CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Ring Install Construction Help!

Okay, so when it comes to anything involving tools, I'm pretty dumb. I get lost in Lowes on a regular basis, so I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand.

I have a setup where I want to install my Rogue ring straps to the roof rafter braces in my attic (See Image Here (beam highlighted in Yellow). (Image SFW)

I was thinking a carribeaner(SP?) and a nut/bolt through the beam combo, but I want something that will support my failed muscle up attempts and not
A) Bring the roof down
B) snap
C) be able to slide the straps up and down to adjust height (so I can't just cut a hole in the wood)

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring-hookup.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	8371  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Ring Install Construction Help!

Two things I should add. After talking with a co-worker, chances are, I can connect the rings to any of the 2x4s EXCEPT the very bottom one. Secondly, it will be one ring per 2x4, not both in the same.

I'm thinking about using eye bolts, has anyone had any experience with these?

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler : 09-19-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
John Lohry

Profile:

First off, I will state that I am in no way an engineer, nor do I work in home construction or anything like that. So this is just my own personal opinion on what I might consider. Please don't take this as a recommendation as to what you should do in this matter.

I'm not sure if your rafters look exactly like the one depicted in the image. If that's the case, it looks like your long and short diagonal braces overlap on either side of the lower chord. Is this correct?

What I would do, if the the long and short diagonal braces do not overlap is to beef up the long diagonal brace. I would make an exact copy of the long diagonal brace, and then sandwich a shorter brace in between the two. It would have to be cut at the proper angles to butt up against the bottom edge of the upper chord near the top gusset and the top edge of the lower chord. Then drill through all three to mount your system and you should be good to go.

If the long and short diagonal brace do overlap, you may have to move the lower end of the short diagonal brace outwards a little to accomodate the beefed up long braces, or just go with a doubled-up long diagonal brace (do without the other outer brace in the pic).

Make sense? I only recommend beefing up the brace since we're talking about suspending your weight from the 2x4s, and I wouldn't exactly be comfortable bouncing on rings suspended from those during muscle ups. Depending on the actual length of that long diagonal brace, you may still feel it wiggle and bounce if it's just the one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ring-hookup.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	8372  

Last edited by John Lohry : 09-19-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

So I convinced my gf to send me some pictures of my current setup. Please note before looking at these, I've NOT used this setup, nor do I intend to until it's better supported. I just threw something together really quickly to see if it would even work. Here are the pictures she sent me. I'm thinking maybe I can just run a 4x4 across and attach that to the beams it's currently attached to, and go from there. Thoughts?

Sorry for the bluriness.

I should note, I don't really have any tools other than a drill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110919_123940.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	8373  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110919_124043.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	8374  

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler : 09-19-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

This is what I did:

I used a saddle bracket on 2 adjacent trusses. Dropped a 4x4 in the bracket, screwed everything together.
Then drilled 2 vertical holes through the 4x4 at the width of the rings, and used eye-bolts up through the garage into the attic.

Saddle bracket: http://gandnenterprises.com/zen/imag...20brackets.jpg

Topside: (ignore the boards running across the tops of the truss beams- just look at the one with the X)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
My rings are right at 17.5" apart, probably could go a little wider.

Garage side:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

All links WFS. Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Donald Rice

Profile:

Here is what I would do. Buy a section of one inch galvanized pipe from Lowes or Home Depot. It should be longer than the length between the two roof beams. Then use small pieces of 2x4 wood to construct two braces that can be attached to the beams with wood screws. They would look like two "L" pieces made out of 2x4. Then just set the bar between them when you need to use your rings. The rings would be hung over the pipe, which should prevent them from getting frayed/damaged. You could leave it up all the time, or take it down when not in use. I did something similar a while back in my attic to install shelving along diagonal braces. I will make a sketch and post it so it makes more sense.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Donald Rice

Profile:

Here is a rough sketch of what I would do. The diagonal lines are your roof beams. The straight lines are 2x4s The dots would be 1&1/2 inch wood screws. The pipe would sit in the space crated by the bracket and the ring straps would go over the pipe. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	8379  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

John, Nalin, Donald, thanks for all your help.

Attached is what I did. Thanks everyone for your help. This feels sturdy enough and seems like I should be safe.

I ran a 2x4 across the beams and added some support. I will be adding another D-ring on each side.

The images are as follows (not sure how to match the description to the image)

Finished Product (rings hanging through attic stairwell)
2x4 across beams
close up of D-hook

After doing it, it seems as if the D-hook and caribeaner are there more for looks than anything else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110920_053704.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	8380  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110920_053756.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	8381  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110920_053819.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	8382  
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Now to scour for posts on how to make a home-made rope climbing rig!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I think those diagonal truss members need to be braced to the horizontal if you use that setup.

That and make sure all the edges the straps run over are sanded down so you don't fray the straps.