CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Aaron Owens

Profile:
Bulged discs and knee issues

Has anyone had any success working out with either bulged discs in their lower back or knee issues?

Several years ago I found out that I have two bulged discs in my lower back that caused me to have severe pain down my right leg. Once I got enough treatment, I have been able to work out alot more, and as long as I dont get crazy, Ive been doing alot of squats, dead lifts and such. Im just curious if anyone has had to deal with these too.

Also I had scope work done to my knee that still gives me fits... anyone with that too?

Share with me your story if you have one.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
Re: Bulged discs and knee issues

I workout with a knee issue right now. Not quite sure what it is but I see an ART chiropractor a few times a month and he has helped me out a lot. Walking lunges hurt when my left leg is the trail leg, catching snatches, cleans, etc. hurts. Any leg bending movement hurts if my knees don't track directly over my toes. Hamstring exercises also help as, I'm told, they pull posteriorly on the patella and keep it where it should be.

It is not severe pain but it is definitely an annoyance.

Don't have any back pain so I can't share my story about that.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Laurie Smith

Profile:

I had the bulging disc a couple of years back, it took about 9 months of physical therapy for me to be able to start to do squats again. Every now and then I have back pain so I have to be really careful with deadlifts and I never do the back/hip extentions (the one where you have to roll your back up and down). I've added in more back extension to my warm ups and that's helped to make my back a bit stronger.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Thomas Green

Profile:

Sure you didn't herniate the disc? Bulging discs generally don't cause pain
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Sure you didn't herniate the disc? Bulging discs generally don't cause pain
This is highly dependent on the individual.

Usually you will see bulging discs causing pain in more of the sedentary population though. e.g. the ones with poor mobility, and poor strength.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
This is highly dependent on the individual.

Usually you will see bulging discs causing pain in more of the sedentary population though. e.g. the ones with poor mobility, and poor strength.
Meh - true to some extent, its tricky because there is really no medical consensus on this one. Sometimes it can go along with a muscular-skeletal issue. Whether the bulging disc itself is the cause of pain in a sedentary person, or other factors related to his lifestyle, I don't really know for sure.

What's generally agreed upon in the medical community (I'm sure as a PT you know this, just pointing it out for everyone wondering) is that if you were to randomly take MRI's of the entire population, the majority would have multiple disc bulges yet feel no symptoms.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep. Most of us have asymptomatic bulging discs to some extent.. true.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Aaron Owens

Profile:

Well, Ill admit I'm the patient not the physician, however I'm just going to quote the Doc at the pain center as he was pointing to my MRI "You have two discs that are bulging between the T4 and T5 Vertebrae. The T5 is compressed and is dehydrated" And to add, the nerve going down my right leg is being pressed by the bulge so it causes plenty of pain. So to say its herniated or bulged is not for me to call, but thats my situation. I got the injury not from being sedentary (well maybe not completely) but from lifting heavy objects with bad form doing construction. One that I can recall was the culprit was lifting a 275 pound refrigeration compressor over electrical pipes by myself.

Since I started exercising and strengthening my back, the pain is a lot better, but it still reminds me its there at times.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Owens View Post
Well, Ill admit I'm the patient not the physician, however I'm just going to quote the Doc at the pain center as he was pointing to my MRI "You have two discs that are bulging between the T4 and T5 Vertebrae. The T5 is compressed and is dehydrated" And to add, the nerve going down my right leg is being pressed by the bulge so it causes plenty of pain. So to say its herniated or bulged is not for me to call, but thats my situation. I got the injury not from being sedentary (well maybe not completely) but from lifting heavy objects with bad form doing construction. One that I can recall was the culprit was lifting a 275 pound refrigeration compressor over electrical pipes by myself.

Since I started exercising and strengthening my back, the pain is a lot better, but it still reminds me its there at times.

Sure it's not L4-L5? I'm confused. And I wasn't criticizing you or the doctor who dx'd you, I'm just trying to get a grasp on the situation thats all. A lot of people are told they have disc bulges in the MRI when in reality its something else causing the symptoms. Let me know if you meant to say L4-L5 and I can give you an opinion

Last edited by Thomas Green : 05-24-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
Aaron Owens

Profile:

OK yes your right...lol its L not T....Its been several years. I knew i should have looked it up before I typed it.

Last edited by Aaron Owens : 05-25-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: just wanted to add more