CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: taking a week off to work on flexibility?

great link! Thanks so much! That might have been the clearest, most concise explanation on the subject ever

So this is what I'm taking away from the article in regards to my situation:

1. static stretching/PNF will reduce strength if performed prior to exercise
2. hip flexors should be stretched prior to working out in order to allow for good movement
3. however, since my squat technique still needs some work (I have the 'butt winking' thing happening at the bottom of the squat + bottom position is hard to reach), I should stretch prior to squats and other hamstring intensive exercises in order to allow for better technique and positioning.

does this sound right, or am I reading the article wrong? I am fine with sacrificing some strength to work on getting good technique down and getting into the proper position safely.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

Yep that sounds about right to me.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Katherine: how much time do you spend on flexibility maintenance per day? what kinds of things do you do?
Sorry for the slow response, I was away for a week.

I take three aikido classes per week, which include a traditional stretching and flexibility warmup. I also make sure to spend a few minutes on cool-down stretching after my Crossfit workouts. If I notice that something is tight, I'll spend a few minutes stretching it out. That's enough to maintain my current level of flexibility (which is very good). If I wanted remedial flexibility work I'd spend 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day, and maybe throw in a yoga class several times a week as well.

For specific stretches, you might look at Bob Anderson's book, "Stretching," which has both body part-oriented and activity-oriented stretching routines. My routine is pretty comprehensive, including both large and small muscle groups, but that's probably not necessary for general fitness.

Katherine