CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
John Casey

Profile:
Re: Disaster Preparedness Kit

i know it sounds like a really dumb question, but how does one go about purifying water after nuclear fallout? the answer is probably, "you don't," but i wasn't sure if there was anything out there that could handle something like that.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #22
William Jackson

Profile:

actually you can...
but it requires a facility and lots of power for all the components. ive drank some "controlled pure water" on the sub.
harmless but it has been through a reactor...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #23
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Haha Jeannette, if you know how to shoot you're welcome! Is my setup overkill for two people? Nah, nevermind.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #24
Jeannette Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Haha Jeannette, if you know how to shoot you're welcome! Is my setup overkill for two people? Nah, nevermind.
Well, I'd have to bring my husband and 4 dogs, too, of course. But we'd add to the arsenal and the two cowdogs are security experts. All four dogs are pretty good rabbit hunters and the husband comes complete with additional ammo I would pack my new favorite seen below...and toilet paper!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400001.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	4804  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #25
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
i know it sounds like a really dumb question, but how does one go about purifying water after nuclear fallout? the answer is probably, "you don't," but i wasn't sure if there was anything out there that could handle something like that.
Sealed water containers offer protection from radiation damage.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #26
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette Potter View Post
I would pack my new favorite seen below...and toilet paper!
Oh,hey, TP. Good point. Nice work...what was your range/time on the target, if you remember?

I'm saving up for an E.A.A. Witness 1911 .45 next. Shot a friend's recently, and it's sweet. He'd done a trigger job, and I'll do the same. I gotta photograph my targets sometime.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #27
Jeannette Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Y. B. Lindsay View Post
Oh,hey, TP. Good point. Nice work...what was your range/time on the target, if you remember?

I'm saving up for an E.A.A. Witness 1911 .45 next. Shot a friend's recently, and it's sweet. He'd done a trigger job, and I'll do the same. I gotta photograph my targets sometime.
I have tp AND M&Ms in my 3-day emergency kit

That target was done rapid fire, at about 15 feet. The gun was new and I was still getting the feel for it. I was very pleased, so I stopped there and changed targets before doing more, since the grouping looked so nice. I took the picuture to send a friend who wanted to know how I liked the gun, as that seemed to say it all It's a Springfield XD 40.

Would like to see those targets. A new rifle is on my Christmas list, but I haven't decided what I want (how else to give the hubby clear Christmas shopping instructions?).
Old 08-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

I'll see what I can do. Minimizing my shooting since the shortage on primers, powder, and bullets started. If nothing else, I'm shooting an IDPA BuG match in October and I'll want to get a little range time before then. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Hey, I haven't taken the rifles out in a while. The .44 mag is a Marlin, not a Ruger. Duh. It's shortish, which is nice for me, and the funny thing is when I take it to a range because it's small people assume it's a .22 until they hear the first round crack off. Makes me laugh every time. I'm sad my club doesn't have a rifle range but I do have a friend who can shoot in his backyard. Gotta take that out again and practice a bit. I bet it's been six years.

Hey I forgot about the tent and camping gear. That's useful stuff, surely.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #29
Kevin Mack

Profile:

My survival bag that I fly/hike with includes a first aid kit (large and small gauze pads, bandages, tape, aspirin, hydrocortizone cream, benadryl, alcohol gel, pepto bismol), mylar space blanket, signal mirror, folding knife (gerber ar 3.0), fixed blade knife (gerber LMF II), 2 MREs, iodine tablets, sleeping bag (merlin softie), metal match, garmin rino 120 gps, headlamp and 100 oz water-all packed in a camelbak transformer.

My winter bag is all of the above, minus the camelbak, plus a bunch of water/fireproof flight clothes and I swap the 40 degree merlin for a -50 degree bag.

If I was building a larger kit for a car, I'd include a wool blanket, a reverse osmosis water filter, jumper cables, road flares, a rifle (I'm thinking either a .22lr or a .357 mag lever action, depending on where I planned to go) and a box of ammo.

When I fly I also carry a leatherman wave on my left boot, a gerber rescue hook knife on my right boot and a benchmade autostryker in my pocket.

All of the above is personal gear, if I'm flying I also have a bunch of issued gear in my survival vest.

Last edited by Kevin Mack : 08-13-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #30
Pedro Nabais

Profile:

A swiss knife, duct tape and a lighter. No weapons, I don't find them that indispensable.