CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Adam Ahern

Profile:
How long have you been sugar-free?

Beating sugar is proving to be harder than i thought it would be. In recent weeks, sugar has had it all over me. I don't mean lollies or overly packaged stuff but mostly good quality sorbet/chocolate etc. I've read all the great advice: increase the fat, get the sleep, get it out of the house etc. There are so many threads relating to 'getting off sugar' so my intention is not to create another one. However, I am curious how long some of you guys have been off the stuff.

I'll start: I've been off the crack for 45 minutes.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: How long have you been sugar-free?

Adam,

Do you have a CF Journal sub? If you do, and I would advise it, go to the journals and search for "crack". There is a great article there.

I have now been two weeks sugar free, no cheats, no carbs other than green veggies, and I feel and look the best I ever have. For me the cravings don't go away. Maybe if you were off the crack for months they would, but not for me now.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 04-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I did a six months stretch with no sugar. Now, I do a cheat day every other week and I do eat sugar. I'm very strict Paleo 90% of the time so on my cheat days I eat what I want.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
Noah Martin

Profile:

When people here talk of "no sugar" are we referring to natrual sugars as well like fruit?

I dont think I could give up fruit.
Then again, I also couldnt resist another Cadbury Creme Egg last night
Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
Brittany Warren

Profile:

I've been off the crack for four days.

No cravings, really -- I've been fiending hard for peanut butter, so that mixed with cottage cheese (and a drizzle of honey) has become my new drug of choice.

I eat fruit in the mornings and post WO, and use honey sparingly (like, 1 tsp once a day). I'm actually kind of surprised how easy cutting out grains and processed sugars has been.

Of course, I don't have any chocolate in the house. It's entirely possible my willpower would melt into a sticky puddle if faced with temptation.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Off sugar over a month except for Post Workout (half sweet potato/no sugar added apple sauce/piece of meat).

Feels great.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

OP, it gets easy after 10-14 days. During that time it's just willpower. Suck it up! lol

The only sugar I get is in my coffee, and I am whittling that down. One cheat meal per week, last week was ben&Jerry's for dinner! Once you get on the wagon though, you feel like such crap from the sugar and guilt that it is really not worth it.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Casey Caudle

Profile:

I've been off of Sugar and Grain for 1 week now. I am trying for 30 days. I still have apples but no processed sugar. All-natural Peanut Butter is saving my life right now.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Sue Chen

Profile:

Desserts and sweets have been off the menu for longer than I can remember. I don't miss them. I just went through the Lenten season taking all sugar out of my diet. I was surprised how often it appears in such things like mustard and other sauces I generally use to cook with.

I started eating unsweetened chocolate (Ghirardelli's) and fell in love with the bitterness. You still get the mouth feel of chocolate, which is my main addiction in the chocolate arena. I have kept that up even after Lent ended. I found during this time that my sensitivity to sweetness increased. I cannot drink a cup of Market Spice tea (no sugar, but has cinnamon, orange peels, licorice and other sweet herbs and spices) without cutting it with plain black tea.

I have returned to my favorite cooking sauces, but will stay away from the sweet ones, ie barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce. I am now more conscientious about label reading and staying away from items where sugar appears in the top number of ingredients.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Several months now...with the exception of the occasional breyers or pizza binge...

It's pretty cool not having that 'needy' feeling when it comes to food.