CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Brittany Warren

Profile:
Another Crossfit Newb

Hey all! I've decided to take the plunge with crossfit -- I've always been very active (Division I rower in college, current Army officer) but I've always focused on tons of cardio. I love weightlifting, but I've always bought into the idea that if I'm not spending at least an hour a day on the treadmill, I'm not "pushing" myself.

The hubs and I had our first baby (Sophie) 5 weeks ago. I stayed relatively active during the pregnancy -- yoga, pilates, walking, light kettlebells -- and I've lost most of the pregnancy weight (5 lbs to go). However, 9 months without running or real strength training has left me out of shape. I thought that this would be a great opportunity to try something new. I'm really intrigued by the idea of functional strength -- I used to be able to squat 280 and bench 125, but I could never climb a rope or do a pull-up. I'm determined to do both!

I'm 5'9"/170 -- I'd like to get down to the 150s, but I'm more concerned with body composition than I am with where the scale is. I also want to get my 2 mile time back down to sub-14, and destroy the pushups/situps on my next PT test (5 months from now). I want to climb a rope, and do a dead-hang pull-up. Those are the goals.

I've been doing the WODs for the past two weeks (Brand X scaled, focusing on form for oly lifts, etc) and I started Zone today. I guesstimated that I'd need 12 blocks a day, so I bumped it up to 14 to account for breastfeeding. I'm really enjoying it so far -- I can't wait to get to today's WOD.

Anyway, sorry for the book! I'm really looking forward to getting to know you guys and learning as much as I can about crossfit. This site is incredibly informative.

take care!
Brittany
Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Another Crossfit Newb

Welcome Brittany, hop on over to the community section and the "girl power" thread; I think you'll get along great with all the cf ladies. Have fun!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Nicole Ashman

Profile:
Re: Another CrossFit Newb

Welcome, I like you are new to CF... I am hooked and it's all my husbands fault lol!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Brittany Warren

Profile:
Re: Another CrossFit Newb

Thanks! I've been having a blast with the WODs so far. Yesterday's was so simple...and I still felt like death warmed over after all was said and done. My rear is SO frakkin' sore after all of those walking lunges.

I'm looking forward to today's WOD too -- I love me some push-jerks.