CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
When someone emails looking for prices?

Hey all,

Okay, so based off the advise of many of the more successful affiliates here I've taken the prices down off the website. BUT, what should I respond with when people email me explicitly looking for a price?

Should I just reply with "We've a range of membership options, which I'd be happy to discuss with you once you're down?..."

Which has been more successful?

Thanks,
Colm
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: When someone emails looking for prices?

Depends on the person. Some we'll give a quick overview to because we can tell they won't even consider anything without seeing/hearing a price range first, some we recommend they come in (sometimes give them a free session) and work from there.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:

"Please forgive me, but we do not offer our pricing online nor over the phone. We ask that you walk in our door and see and experience the CrossFit difference. We offer you one workout FREE.

During your first visit we will guide you through our 'warm-up'. We will teach you to perform the movements with proper form, observe you and determine your level of fitness. You will then be trained, according to your level of fitness, every time you walk in our door.

Also during your first we will give you our rate sheet.

Thank you so much for your interest in XYZCrossFit. We will look forward to seeing you walk in our door."

This is my typical email and phone call response. In 3 years, I've had a few people who responded negatively and to be honest, I don't want them as a client. If a consumer is serious, I want them to walk in my door. I may also say, "During your 1st visit, leave your money at home. No one will attempt to sell you anything. You will decide if you want to tyrain with us after your first visit."
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:

Thanks Skip, that's great.

I've gotten two emails like this today, so I'll report back with results.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

I'll go along with skip on this one. My affiliate has pricing on our website. But from someone who has managed a retail business for 10 years, i think sometimes it is best to get a chance to show someone why your service is superior before shooting them a price.

For example many people who are not all that familiar with the program may be comparing it to a globogym.

So theyre comparing unlimited access to 24 hr fitness 39.99 / mo vs.
unlimited classes at an affiliate 160/mo

if they are not familiar with what the differences are they will probably go for the lower number. Not realizing the personal attention they get included in a crossfit member, and the huge difference in the program.

I'm always concerned about talking prices until i can show someone what they are going to get.

I'd say if you know they are familiar with crossfit, and searching for a local affiliate giving prices to them through email will not hurt.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

Apologies in advance if this seems negative but I'm sure I can't be the only one out there who wishes affiliates would be more open and less "secretive" about money and pricing structures?

It smacks of "hiding something" you don't want people to know; at least off the bat. I understand the sales methodology behind that approach of "getting them in the door first". My crappiest job out of college was a sales job years ago with a similar method. Felt like I had to sell my soul to do it that way so I quit right away.

To me it seems that by "hiding" the pricing information, you weaken the case of why your affiliate is so awesome, necessary, life-changing, and worth every dime.

I just don't like the secrecy. Not for CrossFit. My honest $.02.

Last edited by Wade Smith : 01-13-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Wade, the problem is what Gabe mentioned. We know the quality of instruction that you should (and will most likely get at an affiliate) compared to what you will get at a globo gym. The average person has no idea and will simply see prices. If you can show them why your price is 4 times the other guys, than they can make a reasonable comparison.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Tom Seryak

Profile:

wade-
i don't think that it is so much about being a secret, but making sure that a potential client knows what they are getting first. most inquiries at this time are from people that don't really know much about crossfit training or even if they do, they may not be familiar with the service that is provided at the Crossfit affiliate. With that being said, it may not matter either way (published prices or not), since the right client will prioritize fitness and realize ahead of time that training at a Crossfit affiliate is a phenomenal value!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:

Wade,

No 'sales methodology' whatsoever!! We do not use ANY closing techniques. I don't have time to explain in detail, but we use 'psychology'. Knowing the mind and typical thought processof the average consumer and their 'conditioning' (EVERYONE on the planet) as it relates to fitness.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.crossfitoakharbor.com
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Peter Keller

Profile:

This is just a quick post to echo Wade. I am a dyed in the wool Crossfitter and I have no problem with affiliates charging $150+++ a month for their services. The service a good affiliate provides is worth that and much more.

However, speaking as a consumer, I would not go to any business that refused to discuss pricing with me up front.

I understand the rationale behind everything that everyone has stated in this thread- I am just providing you FREE consumer insight.

If, as Skip mentioned, you do not want these people as clients anyway, then more power to you. Nothing succeeds like success.