CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
My Garage Gym Pics

Hey Guys,
I finally got around to taking some decent pics of garage gym. Here you all go.

I would just like to note that on my white board pic, those are some pretty weak metcon times for Fran and Annie. Those were my first time ever to do those workouts. I have been on an O'Lifting kick for the past several months and haven't really gotten hardcore into Crossfitting. I was just bored one day so I did Fran. Then a good friend of mine suggest I try Annie.

I plan to blow those times out of the water when i circle back around to re-do those workouts for a second time. I'll have to post another picture of my whiteboard at that point....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Platform1.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3170  Click image for larger version

Name:	Platform2.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	3171  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper storage cart.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	3172  Click image for larger version

Name:	PU bar.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	3173  Click image for larger version

Name:	White board.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	3174  

Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: My Garage Gym Pics

I forgot to share details:

That platform is a 8' x 6'. I cut the plywood match the 6' length of the horse stall mats which I bought at tractor supply store. I only did two layers. Underneath what you see in that picture is another layer of lower grade 3/4" plywood going cross ways. I cut one of the bottom pieces of plywood in half long ways then mounted to the wall in front of the platform to protect drywall from any inadvertantly dropped weights. I attached rubber mats with 4 Sheet metal screws and fat fender washes, two at the top and bottom of each strip of matting.

PU bar is two 12'x4"x6" posts with a 1 inch galvanized pipe, approx 7.5' high and dug two holes about 3' and used about 100lbs of concrete. The PU bar does not budge when kipping.

The weight cart is the same concept as the DIY models others have posted except I got a flatbed cart for Xmas and fabricated the top part with wood to hold bumpers.

The last major piece of equipment I plan to purchase is a BW squat rack, which is similar to ironminds vulcan squat rack.

Last edited by Brian Lawyer : 12-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
and haven't really gotten hardcore into Crossfitting.
What? Not hardcore into Crossfit and you have a homemade pullup bar in
your backyard with a kid in diapers hanging from it?

Is that standard backyard furniture where you're at? I can't wait to see your
garage gym when you do get hardcore.

Nice home gym, it's really the only way to go...the platform and squat rack are always open.

Last edited by James R. Climer : 12-29-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added wit
Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
What? Not hardcore into Crossfit and you have a homemade pullup bar in
your backyard with a kid in diapers hanging from it?

Is that standard backyard furniture where you're at? I can't wait to see your
garage gym when you do get hardcore.

Nice home gym, it's really the only way to go...the platform and squat rack are always open.
I am hardcore, just not hardcore into Crossfit....yet. But I am a big fan of crossfit!! Just wait till I get bored with Snatches and C&J's. Right now I am setting a new PR on those O' lifts almost weekly.

I thought a PU bar in backyard was standard furniture....I also plan to hang some rings on our back patio. It's got about a 16' high rafter.

Funny you noticed the diaper. That's my three year old. He just turned three. We should probably get stricter about the potty training soon...
Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Mike Goldberg

Profile:

That's a really good start. You can do a lot with what you have so far.

You can add in other things very cheaply - Make a set of Paralletes out of PVC (there's a link to a how-to in the FAQ), Make a 20" box (or find something of equal height that will support jumping), etc. Basically, add in more stuff as the need arises...

I was wondering, can you set up a pullup bar in the garage? It would help when you need to jump from pullups to something else. I made one out of pipe from Home Depot and fastened it into the studs. Works great.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Clay Warford

Profile:

cool pics
Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goldberg View Post
I was wondering, can you set up a pullup bar in the garage? It would help when you need to jump from pullups to something else. I made one out of pipe from Home Depot and fastened it into the studs. Works great.
Of course that would have been the easy thing to do. I concluded garage ceiling was too short at just under 8'. I was afraid I'd put my head through the ceiling. Plus I like the backyard PU bar look...so what if my wife thinks it's an eyesore...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Of course that would have been the easy thing to do. I concluded garage ceiling was too short at just under 8'. I was afraid I'd put my head through the ceiling. Plus I like the backyard PU bar look...so what if my wife thinks it's an eyesore...
Put a potted plant on each post top and plant some kind of vine to climb up the posts. Also, paint the posts to match the fence.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
James R. Climer

Profile:

Quote:
I am hardcore, just not hardcore into Crossfit....yet. But I am a big fan of crossfit!! Just wait till I get bored with Snatches and C&J's. Right now I am setting a new PR on those O' lifts almost weekly.

I thought a PU bar in backyard was standard furniture....I also plan to hang some rings on our back patio. It's got about a 16' high rafter.

Funny you noticed the diaper. That's my three year old. He just turned three. We should probably get stricter about the potty training soon...
Two things, first I failed to acknowledge the nice numbers on your whiteboard regarding the Oly Lifts: at 6', 205# 48 years old, I would love to have those numbers.

Second, maybe if the 3 year-old is making progress on the pullups, the 'extra load' can only make him stronger in the end...don't push too hard, he'll figure out eventually that carrying that dead weight around all day is only slowing him down...
...and losing points with the ladies!

Last edited by James R. Climer : 12-30-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: minor typo