CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Abdelmoniem H. Ragab

Profile:
To Zone or Not to Zone

Hey there

well i am just into the zone for 2 days and it is going fine and everything but
i am craving some fruits (guava and banana)
i miss just eating an apple now if i want to eat an apple i have to eat 6 almonds and 8 Tsp of Cottage chesse
i miss eating more protien at lunch

so here is my pre. diet it was ok for me it wasn't any specific diet i just made it from try and error and readings and it was kind of "listen to my body" thing :

i don't eat bread or rice or any refined carbs my carb intake comes from fruits - low GI fruits and veggies

i eat about 50 % protien / 30-40 % carbs / 10-20% fats (some days lesser carbs and more fats and sometimes the other way around)

i don't eat any kind of fats that was heated (no cooking oil / no roasted nuts ) -heat screws up the fats-

i mostly eat grilled meats and for the fat intake i eat nuts and fats from diary

don't eat cereals or food in cans-except tuna which i get in water and wash it b4 i eat it -

everyday i must have oats -1st thing on my day- and fruits

eat max of 3 whole eggs per day and the rest is only whites

don't eat any carbs @ night , and i eat fibers from veggies all day

and the most important thing is that i understand my body needs and i eat for performance

also i have a cheat meal from time to time(no pizza no sweets nothing unhealthy)

please tell me if this is better than the zone for me or wat btw : the zone is not that hard for me it is ok it is just that it takes more time and don't have much recipes .

all i need to know does it worth it to be on the zone or it is better for me to be on what i used to eat

Thanks in Advance
Old 12-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
James Compora

Profile:
Re: To Zone or Not to Zone

just zone
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Just paleo.
No zone vote here.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Just paleo.
No zone vote here.
paleo would be best, but i think if he zoned first for a little bit and eased into the paleo/zone combo would be better, he said he likes dairy and oats.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Abdelmoniem H. Ragab

Profile:

i thought about the paleo too but it is the same as my old diet but what i really need is to increase my preformance and i think if it is between paleo and zone then the zone would be better right
and ya i love diary and oats would that make be better a zoneer or a caveman ???
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
James Compora

Profile:

oats and dairy are ok on the zone, oatmeal is on the favourable list, some dairy is also...but not alot
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Abdel-it didn't look like you were getting a lot of fat in your pre diet.
What are you basing your diet on? The Crossfit Journal? One of Sears' books?
Try the zone for a few weeks and see how it goes for you. It will definitely help if you'r elooking to drop weight.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Abdelmoniem H. Ragab

Profile:

about the fat , yes i didn't have that much of fats to eat
i based it on the CFJ because it is the only thing i can reach now ,my internet card it expired and i can't find the book in the book stores here so i can't reach the book
i am not looking much to lose wieght as i am 14-12% but i looking for the increase in preformance also i am searching for the best healthy diet for the long run
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

i think you need to spend some time being educated on the zone...
between this post and your other one.. your not making the ratios right or even close enough.

"please tell me if this is better than the zone for me or wat btw : the zone is not that hard for me it is ok it is just that it takes more time and don't have much recipes"

I can't say that.. cause your not quite there...
40 percent protein 30 percent carbs 30 fat.

if your not eating carbs at night... that mean your eating more protein and fat?
that is not zone.. remember balance !!! with every meal... every meal.. 40-30-30 or damn close to it.
and yes two days is not enough.. your seeing loss of body water.. once your body goes into ketosis.. its take water with it...
remember kreb's cycle??? water is used to maintain the ph balance in the blood, closer to ketosis you get.. the more water the body needs to dilute the acid level.

spend a week cleaning up your diet, and while your cleaning up.. learn about the zone and then refocus.. I found once the diet was cleaned up.. the portion issue followed naturally behind and zoning was a bit easier to understand.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Abdelmoniem H. Ragab

Profile:

Frank i think you got me wrong , well in the other post i was just asking if i can manipulate the ratio and still be in the zone and i here i was talking about my previous diet and how i used to eat and if it is worth it to keep being in the zone because of the lack of information i am having at this time but this 2 days i eat the exact measures i should X protien X carbs X fats and have my complete blocks and i am still gathering info but the problem is that it is base on experince and that could include exprince -genetics -timing - luck some times so i am searching more for solid information on the mean while i am trying to be on the zone and asking if it is worth it as i am looking for performance increase not wieght loss mainly