CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Abinav Shankar Narayan

Profile:
Game-day Nutrition

What does one consume during intervals in competitive sports like Soccer,Tennis, Baseball,Bball etc.?
The idea is to replenish Glycogen levels,right? Whats suggested?
High GI carbs like bananas,potatoes and the likes? Simple or Complex sugars?
Do high fat 'nuts' have a role to play during competition?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Kathryn Sorensen

Profile:
Re: Game-day Nutrition

i'm curious about that too. i do my long runs on saturdays (usually 10-14 miles) i've used energy gu's and such. is that still okay? i've been zoning now for 6-8 weeks not prefect, i'm still learning but trying real hard. i'm taking in 9-10 block groups a day (carb blocks being my favorite i sort of treasure them). from what i can tell those gu's are so not zone! i need something though. any sugestions?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I was a big fan of oranges when I played rugby.

which is also a line in a famous rugby soung
Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

Well, I'm not an eilte athlete/pro nutritionist or anything but here's my $.02.

I think that it's all about the timing of replenishing your glycogen stores and controlling your insulin levels. For me, I performed better through an entire 90 minute soccer game by eating a glycogen replenishing meal (high GI carbs - pastas, rice, breads ...) the night before a soccer game and then, on the day of the game - I stayed away from foods that would cause an insulin spike (breads, pastas, rice), especially during the two or three hours prior to the game.

Through reading on these boards and other nutrition sites I started to put things together - maybe somebody can confirm this thinking ...

You want glycogen stores to be completely replenished to aid in your high energy output efforts (sprinting, etc ...) BUT, you're not going to be able to sprint for 90 minutes so you've got to have another energy source. Fat. We've got it for a reason. The problem is this - if you drink a gatorade at half-time or eat a refined carb meal before a game or take a gel pack then you're going to trigger an insulin spike because of the increase in blood glucose levels. Insulin tells your body to go into fat storing mode. If you're in fat storing mode as opposed to fat burning mode - your body will not burn fat for energy as efficiently as you would want it to during competitive sports ... i.e. you're going to bonk at half time (necessitating more gatorade (sugar) for energy).

Is this right? I mean - I noticed a big difference if I would carb load the night before as opposed to three hours before. I found that if I ate protein/fat/low GI carbs on game day - hydrated w/ 8 oz of water every 30 minutes and then had a 12 oz cup of coffee 30 minutes before the game - I held up better than most.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Kathryn Sorensen

Profile:

thanks andy and jamie. i have so much to learn.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

I can see the problem mentioned at half-time, but I think ingesting carbs during activity will not produce a significant insulin response if my memory serves me correctly (and I was taught correctly). During activity your cells go into a state in which it is easy to bring in and take out nutrients, so ingesting carbs during the activity will not lead to an insulin response because it is not needed.

I would be careful at half-time though at least.

Here is a wfs article that supports this. It's in the third and fourth paragraphs:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/fa...ection-15.html