CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Mission Statement Help

Anyone out there got any good leads on developing a solid mission statement for when they started their own affiliate?
My fiance brought this to my attention today, and I hadn't really considered it, but in getting everything together for my eventual affiliation, it would be a great idea to be able to communicate what it is I want to offer to people.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: Mission Statement Help

Write down:

Who you are (as an affiliate - not necessarily personally)
What you do
Why you do it

That's usually a pretty good start. Sometimes you can take what you come up with and condense it down to a single sentence or phrase like: forging elite fitness.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Rich Knipping

Profile:

when we came up with our mission statement for my Chiropractic office, we sat down as a group and wrote down words that were important to us that had to do with our office. we took all those words, picked out the ones we all liked as a group and then starting writing sentances using as many of them as we could.

worked with it a little and voila, a mission statement.

good luck with it.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Thanks for the pointers, I've begun incorporating both.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Jana Holland

Profile:

I got great advice - today, as a matter of fact. As people walk out the door, and call their friends on their cell phones on the way home from leaving, what do you want people to say they experienced:
From the workout (that will be obvious)
From the facility (not the equipment or physical structure)
From the trainers and clients
What is the culture and tone of your place? (the most important part of what you do)
And what is unique that they get from you that you know they aren't finding elsewhere? What makes you different?

Those key words will emerge from there. And then you put it in a couple of succinct sentences that convey not only the quality of training, but why it's important to you, and how you deliver it. How they'll feel about your place.

Thanks for posting this. Food for thought as I work on my own..
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

Bart,

Good thread. Been thinking about this a bit since you emailed me the other day. Here's a PDF that I found that gives a good synopsis of drafting a mission statement. http://www.tgci.com/magazine/How%20t...0Statement.pdf (WFS)

The examples they give are a bit verbose. A good mission statement doesn't have to be, but it should answer the three big questions.

Another important statement is your Vision Statement. From our conversations I understand that you want to create a business out of fitness, you need to verbalize what your vision for that business is. This is important if it's a one man shop or if you end up with multiple facilities with lots of employees. Without a clearly stated vision statement, you won't know if you are progressing toward your goals.

Keep in touch. We need to get together again soon.

Dan
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Appreciate the info. I found a couple of places on the net as well with some good info. I'll have to paste it here though, since I failed to save the link.
My word doc has now become a mash of copying and pasting off of this thread as well as what I found off the net. Doing a search for other gyms mission statements didn't result in much. All of the ones I found, were as corporate as you could possibly get. I even found a gym that had a religious inject in their mission statement. Don't fully understand that one, but whatever floats your boat. I looked up CF gyms specifically too, and there were very few results on that as well. Think I found maybe three.
Thanks for the info Dan. We'll definitely have to get together. Maybe the weekend after the fourth? I'll be in Vegas this coming weekend.
So this is what I've found so far, that has some good points.

1) Who is your target market?

This identifies your ideal customer group or "Niche".

2) What does your target market want and need?

Here is the "meat" of your mission statement. This what they want and/or need that you are (hopefully) going to help them get.

3) How can you fulfill these wants and needs?

This specifies the actual product you are providing or services that you perform, and how you will create a benefit fulfilling the answers to the first two questions.

This is most important to remember; when you tell them what you do, say it (or write it) in words they will understand fully. If you have to re-explain to them any part to make them understand what you have already conveyed, you have lost sight of your primary objective.

Remember whom it is you are attempting to serve and explain accordingly. Tell them what they need and how you can supply them with this need. Tell them what you do, not how you do it!

Ask yourself; What adversity do all of your clients face that your service will help them with the most. This is your mission!

If you have a pen and paper write these down. Later you can redo this, scrutinizing each word. You must write, rewrite and rewrite again. Sound familiar?

When you're ready, plug the answer to these questions into this statement.

I/We provide .....(1)..... in the necessity to fulfill ......(2)...... by
offering ......(3)......
This will be the first draft of your Mission Statement.

Don't worry if your first couple of drafts seems a bit weak, they "always" are.

Part 1:

Number 1 above should be easily answered by you. If not then you need to re-think your whole marketing strategy. You must know whom you are serving, before you can serve them.

Another quick note here is the too well known word "Niche". Don't try to serve everybody. You need to focus your marketing strategy to one unique target. If others come along that you can serve that are outside of your target group, great! Serve them. But never lose focus of the target market.

Think of your market as a beam of light. The wider the beam, the weaker it becomes. Tighten that beam it becomes a laser.

Part 2:

Do not assume that your target market values the same things you do. More than likely in this stage, they do not. You must know what your target customer wants and needs, not what you think they want, need or should have. If this is your approach, you will lose.

You can fight to your last breath, trying to sell or market what you think they should have, but in the end they will always beat you.

Part 3:

This is where I often see what I call "The Ego Statement". Business owners insist on using terms and technical talk that the normal client will never understand. If you think that you're impressing them.....wrong. You are confusing them and insulting them by making them feel inadequate. Make it clear to the reader/listener what they will get from your service or product.

What benefits will they gain from your product or service? Hype only will only carry you so far.

Last Minute Tip:

Do not confuse mission statements with direct advertising. I myself have used and still use "Power Words" for direct advertising, but when writing your mission statement, don't bother. This is not the place for split-second decision-making direct advertising. However, for those of you that may be interested in writing direct advertising, you can find a list of some of the best power words at http://www.MakingProfit.com/
Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Stuart Switzer

Profile:

Maybe this is in the wrong spot.But I have been stuggling(watch my spelling)With this for a month or 2.I am having trouble finding my (Niche)Most of my clients are 30-50year old males but at times it has been married 30-50 year old female professional mom and non moms.So I want to resist all the niche ideas I read about not only here but everywhere.I like to train highschool athletes,overweight kids,elderly,Moms,Dads,All of the demographics.Call me a marketing idiot or what ever but I want to help alot of people(As many as Possible)So if I am way off base trying to help too many let me know how to streamline this[i] have been training many years but always look for help on the business side.To summarize I do not want to lock into a ceartian niche but want to help as many people as I can with the time and experiance/training/time that I have available.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Something I've learned from all the people here in crossfit, and the boards, is that it takes a certain kind of person to do crossfit. It doesn't matter what demogrpahic they come from, i.e. young, old, male, female, whatever... They all have certain characteristics that allow them to thrive and be attracted to crossfit. And THAT I believe is a niche. Its just a matter of you defining what those qualities are, and marketing to that. They may not even know they have whatever the quality it is, and that I think is our job as trainers/coaches to bring out in them.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Steve Rakow

Profile:

Don't waste time worrying about a mission statement if you aren't going to look at it and follow it daily. That said, here's my $.02 on mission statements. Your mission should be to train people via the CrossFit method and do it well (read Coach's Virtuosity piece). If you want to do other things, like martial arts, yoga, cycling, etc., you're getting out of the realm of CrossFit. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it requires a broader mission statement and with mission creep comes the potential for mission failure!

The mission statement, if you have one, should be simple - i.e Provide CrossFit training in a group setting to people of all ages and experience. The "how" of accomplishing that mission should get flushed out, but not within the mission statement. I routinely see detailed mission statements that are not mission statements at all, but business/marketing plans explaining how every part and piece of the business works - i.e. Train athletes using CrossFit so that they become lean, increase their cardio, improve their weightlifting, and get better at gymnastics movements. We'll do this by providing the cleanest facility with the newest bars, plates, and lifting platforms in a cooperative, friendly, and supportive environment. We'll attend to your every training need by coaching, motivating, and stimulating your fitness development through multiple intense training sessions . . . I think you get the picture of what I'm talking about - part mission, part marketing, part BS.

If you keep your mission statement short, but broad, you can continue the mission while changing the details of how you get there. Also, with a broad mission statement, you just want to get the intent across, not the nitty gritty (i.e. commander's intent).

The best part of a simple mission statement is that everyone can understand it and read it quickly. If it generates more questions for you, then great! If they get it off the bat, even better. The mission is how you want the heart and soul of your CF affiliate to look like. This is no different than trying to explain CF in less than a minute to someone who is interested. It can't be done.

All that said, I still don't think you need a mission statement to run a business well. You just need goals, drive, and determination.

Good luck!