CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Steve Vanderbok

Profile:
German Army (non)fitness

Guess the modern day Wehrmacht hasn't drunk the Crossfit kool-aid like our Canadian neighbors... "Parliamentary commissioner: German soldiers too fat, smoke too much"

WFS

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...-too-much.html
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:
Re: German Army (non)fitness

And I was so excited that with Germany as our ally we can't possibly lose a third world war...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Oooh, don't use the "W" word when referring to the German Army! The Germans get very touchy about it, bad memories and all that.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Not sure about the "overweight" thing, but I think eating crap and smoking applies to pretty much every soldier on the face of the planet.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Leah Turner

Profile:

2 points about that brief article:

1) I am safely betting that "overweight" to Germans (Europeans in general) means "average" to us Amis.

2) Germans smoke. A lot of them smoke. Whereas here it's looked down upon by the majority of people (including non-smokers) and even young teenagers no longer think smoking is cool, Germany isn't like that. I don't know their ideas or reasons really, but as a group smoking is still the norm and not frowned upon like here. People who are offended by smoking are the ones "stigmatized."

So just to keep those things in mind.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

When I lived in Germany (Dad is in Air Force), I never saw a fat German soldier (by our standards). That's only my experience on 3 bases though. Drinking and smoking age over there is 16 and a lot of people there start younger.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Turner View Post
2) Germans smoke. A lot of them smoke. Whereas here it's looked down upon by the majority of people (including non-smokers) and even young teenagers no longer think smoking is cool, Germany isn't like that. I don't know their ideas or reasons really, but as a group smoking is still the norm and not frowned upon like here. People who are offended by smoking are the ones "stigmatized."
That's getting a better on this side of the Atlantic (I'm in the German-speaking part of Switzerland). I would say that public awareness of how stupid, dangerous and just plain annoying smoking is has increased greatly over the past five years or so, and I can only think of one smoker in my aquaintance who doesn't talk about his or her plans for quitting as soon as he or she can get his **** together. (The one person who doesn't talk about quitting is dying of cancer ...)

Still, in comparison to the US, smoking remains, unfortunately, far more common and accepted.

(The Swiss federal government is currently framing a law to ban smoking in restaurants. The EU countries have already passed laws of that sort over the last few years. These laws have all been supported by a large majorities of the populations.)
Old 03-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Leah Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
That's getting a better on this side of the Atlantic (I'm in the German-speaking part of Switzerland). I would say that public awareness of how stupid, dangerous and just plain annoying smoking is has increased greatly over the past five years or so, and I can only think of one smoker in my aquaintance who doesn't talk about his or her plans for quitting as soon as he or she can get his **** together. (The one person who doesn't talk about quitting is dying of cancer ...)

Still, in comparison to the US, smoking remains, unfortunately, far more common and accepted.

(The Swiss federal government is currently framing a law to ban smoking in restaurants. The EU countries have already passed laws of that sort over the last few years. These laws have all been supported by a large majorities of the populations.)
I believe (up until 6 months ago at least) that that ban was not going so well in Germany. That it was up to each individual Bundesland and furthermore and that Germany was the least receptive country to this idea in Western Europe.