CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Dog Training?

My fiancee and I are looking to bring two corgi puppies into our household sometime towards the end of the summer or early fall.

Her family has had Golden Retrievers all her life, and my family has been raising a corgi for the last 7 years. However, this will be the first time raising dogs on our own.

I'm looking for resources on how to appropriately train these new pups. I know that corgis are herding dogs. While small, they require a lot of exercise and room to move around in. We live in Boston, but have access to very large open areas that are friendly to dogs. I also plan on getting them into agility classes. I considered herding competitions, but since I have nothing to herd, I feel that would be rather useless.

So if you have any trainers, books, forums, or even movies that you'd recommend on dog training, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Mike

Last edited by Michael Lynn : 03-06-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Dog Training?

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend. wfs.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Gayle Malinowski

Profile:

My experience is with Boxers and Boston Terriers, and I found reward-based training (food, clicker, toy, etc) to be very effective. Since it's a training model that's fun to do for both the dogs and us, my husband and I are much more consistent with our training.

With regard to books, my favorite is "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. It's really a book about understanding canine behavior and working with your dog's natural instincts, herding in your case, in the training process. I really got a lot out of it.

w/f safe
http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Clash-...pd_sim_b_img_6

Gayle
Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

I heartily second Gayle’s recommendation of Culture Clash (and clicker training in general). This book should be required reading for anyone who really wants to understand what their dog is or is not “thinking” and what motivates his or her behavior. Great reading.

If you are going into dog agility (highly recommended, Corgis are very good at it, and most dogs love it), I would talk to some of your local agility people ahead of time about advice on training your new dogs. Most experienced dog agility people train their dogs to be motivated and happy, but also very much under control. Agility people love to talk about this stuff as much as Crossfitters like to talk about training.

I also recommend this w/f/s site www.clickerdogs.com, and particularly the DVD “Crate Games.” Susan Garrett is one of the most successful dog agility trainers and handlers in the country, but her general training approach is applicable to any dog owners who plan to make their dogs an active part of their lives.

And props to you for thinking about this stuff so far in advance. By the time the pups arrive you should have a pretty clear idea of exactly how to start training them. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Michael;

I hope you're considering "rescuing" your new dogs. You'd be quite surprised if you searched, http://www.petfinder.com/, plug in your zip code, and watch the 100's of great dogs, ALL breeds, all sizes begging for a second home.

Personally, I've rescued a greyhound (just passed away), then went right out and rescued a Border Collie / Aussie Shepard mixed.

I was shocked at the amount of great looking dogs that were abandoned. If I could, I would have got a couple, if I had more property, I would have gotten a few.

It's a crime that people are paying 250-1000 for dogs when they're are Great dogs and cats looking for great homes. Don't believe me, spend 1/2 hour on the link I provided.

BTW, I have Maya enrolled into a local All Breed Training Center Club that is very active. They run Obedience, Confirmation, Trails and Agility. Google Dog training in your area, should not be a problem.

Pics of my mutts attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IggieIIJPG.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1445  Click image for larger version

Name:	Maya-sitting.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1446  
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Nice looking dogs, Jay. And I second what he said as well -- lots of pets out there for adoption if you're not totally dead-set on a pedigree and all of that (some are, which is fine).

This might be an unusual suggestion, but I have a golden retriever who is the sweetest dog in the world until you get her around other dogs. She becomes terrified, and even viciously defensive.

Got a standard Daschusnfsndfd (wiener dog... i'll be damned if i'll ever learn to spell that, lol) and the golden nearly tore her to pieces.

The solution:

Hired a dog psychologist (Dog Whisperer type). Talked us through all of the things we were doing wrong in our lives -- some were very very small -- that caused the golden to behave this way. Taught us to quite literally "be the pack leader" and establish a very obvious pack hierarchy.

It's 3 or 4 months, and a lot of work later (walks every morning with both dogs; forced interactions; hours and hours on the leash; etc.), and the transformation is incredible. You know that feeling when you look at yourself a few years ago, and then look at yourself now, after CrossFitting, and just say "Wow"... it's that kind of transition.

The dogs sleep together, eat in the same room, and even play together on occasion.

You don't need to hire Cesar Milan, but a quick Google will probably find a few in your area. We had him for just 1 or 2 visits, separated by a few months.

While it wasn't great for training like "Sit, stay, roll over" (although with some modification there's no reason it couldn't be), I will always recommend it as the best way to bring a dog into your life as more than just a pet.

Picture is of all 3 dogs (also have a lab retriever -- missing an eye -- who is the most gentle creature in the world) sleeping side by side. Never would have imagined
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n10102195_37051533_5742.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1451  

Last edited by Elliot Fuller : 03-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Elliot;

Thanks for comments on my hounds.

Liked your story and notice that the Dachshund is on the dog bed,others on floor. Smart dog!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Clicker training is the best thing! A positive experience for you and your dog.
http://clickertraining.com WFS
Karen Pryor is the guru for this.... check her website for some great resources.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Shannon Kissling

Profile:

Clicker training worked for my Weimaraner. He's still a knucklehead but he's a pretty good boy.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_4223.jpg

Last edited by Shannon Kissling : 03-07-2008 at 01:46 PM.