CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Gary Maholm

Profile:
how did you find crossfit?

I did a search and didnt see anything about how everyone found crossfit.

I found it by accident. I was sitting at a pc searching youtube and accidentally found a Buddy Lee video where he was giving a demo. He was jumping around like he does and it was somewhat interesting.

What got me was the comments. Some of the stuff people post in comments is pretty funny. One guy suggested that if you turn the volume up and watch it ignoring the rope that it was really hilarious. And it was, try it. Hes just jumping and grunting..anyway..i digress.

One of the comments said that the video was from a Crossfit seminar (no idea if its true and doesnt matter) and that Crossfit "would kick your ***" so i had to google Crossfit.

Bam. Here I am.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Phil Oh

Profile:
Re: how did you find crossfit?

Gym Jones.

I started doing the workouts and was describing it to a triathlete friend. He said the workouts sounded a lot like something called CrossFit.

A medicine ball, homemade parallettes, and a pair of rings later...voila...part of the cult.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

My personal trainer (Jason Ackerman, now an affiliate at AlbanyCrossfit) started training me this way......Now I'm hooked, I'm kind of one of the geeks, I like the science, too.

Susie
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Internet searches on bodyweight exercises inevitably brought me here. This was one of my knowledge sources even when I had no idea what a goldmine it really was.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Found out about CF from a fellow Russian Martial Art student.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Brian Mansfield

Profile:

I read a 2 line blurb in Grappling Magazine about 3 years ago. Haven't looked back since.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Believe it or not, I first learned about CrossFit from one of Seth Godin's posts. Funny thing is he's a marketing guru not a fitness guy. (and a very popular marketing guru at that...one of the most popular blogs on the net according to technorati).Pretty interestin riff too.
w/f/s
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_b...do_sneeze.html
Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

I was looking for ways to improve push-ups and become a girl who could do pull-ups. The Internet search brought me to CrossFit. I had already started adding jump rope/box step-ups/etc. for active rest to my free weight routines (done in supersets) to break up the monotony. (I hated to sit still during recovery time-it seemed like a waste of time, and I love efficiency). CrossFit was just what I was looking for: challenging, efficient, productive.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Jonathan Rich

Profile:

I found it through an MMA event in Virginia I attended. (Elite Vale Tudo) The guys hosting it were Team ROC (Reality of Combat), which are also CrossFit North Carolina. I happen to buy a shirt there and it had CrossFit on the sleave so I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Dave Matteson

Profile:

One of my buddies found Crossfit while in DC at one of the affiliates there as a great way to train for joining the Army. He passed it on to me and I've now been drinking the Kool-Aid for about 7 months. I had plateaued doing my "routine" at the gym and needed something new that would kick my butt. I promised myself I would at least try the WODs (scaled, at first) for one month. I've now been drinking the Kool-Aid for 7 months.

What kept me hooked were first and foremost, the results. In addition, I appreciate that there's a scientific methodology with a firm basis in nutrition, anatomy, and physiology.