CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
George Mounce

Profile:
Just a reminder for Ultimate Fighter 5 season finally tonight, 9pm Pacific. BJ Penn vs. Pulver tonight!

I'd like to see Penn win, and win big.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Woohoo! I hope BJ wins to!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
I hope Penn wins too, but you may want to check your TV around 6pm-if you are on the West Coast. It is scheduled to start at 9pm EST, if I read the UFC website correctly.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:
According to my TV it is on at 9pm ET/PT on Spike. So ya, we'll already know the outcome via the internet before we actually watch it. Darn time zones. I will just keep watching the UF5 marathon till I get to watch it.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
Ed Kwok

Profile:
BJJJJJJJJJJ PENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HE ROCKS
Old 06-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Rich Stackon

Profile:
That was an awesome fight. Penn owned Pulver.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
I've got to give a big "WTF?!" over the Maynard vs. Emerson fight.

I'd have to see MUCH more convincing footage to say that no-contest was legit. I can't count the number of times I've seen tired or injured guys lay on top of another fighter. Gray's movement off Emerson was concurrent with Emerson's tap. When they showed the top view of Maynard lying there with his arm under Emerson, his eyes where open and you could clearly see color; they were not rolled back. Hurt, probably. Knocked out, no. Disgusting. Between this and Herb Dean's standup in the Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight, I'm becoming very disillusioned with the UFC officiating.

Further, my disdain for Joe Rogan grows. What's the point of interviewing someone if you're going to talk over them? He's an anouncer, not a referee or judge. The point of interviewing someone is to hear what THEY have to say.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:
I have yet to see a fight where the guy who was on top and a dude taps, stop at the first tap. He was totally dead weight. Maynard hits hard and keeps going, when he stopped and just slowly rolls over after totally dominating? He brained himself. You must have had an incredible camera angle I didn't see to have seen his eyes at the completion of the slam. So I disagree, I think it was a good call.

Those new UFC fighters are terrible interviews (what was with Diaz and his brother should get more credit, what?). I'd rather hear Rogan any day over a new fighter. Guys like Ortiz, Penn, Pulver, they are good interviews.

Grats to BJ.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
George,

I found this and it seems to shed some light on the Diaz issue:
By Ted Mero News-Sentinel Staff Writer Nick Diaz isn't exactly fond of the Ultimate Fighting Championship these days. Those who run the UFC aren't so thrilled with him, either. After pulling a mammoth upset at the hands of Pride's Takanori Gomi earlier this year, the 23-year-old Morada native was suspended six months by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a positive marijuana test. Still, as one of the more electrifying fighters in the sport, the UFC wanted to get Diaz's face in the spotlight, asking him to appear on "The Ultimate Fighter 5," the UFC's latest installment of the hit SpikeTV reality show. When he refused, it only made them more unhappy with him. But a distaste for reality TV didn't keep Diaz from encouraging his younger brother, Nathan Diaz, an up-and-coming mixed martial artist in his own right, to take a stab at landing a spot on the program.
w/f safe link for the whole article http://www.mmaplayground.com/
Old 06-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
I was wondering of anyone knows if BJ still trains crossfit? They made it seem that he totally changed his training for this fight. I always thought that it was his motivation to train that was the issue. I tried to check out his site, but of course it is down due to traffic.